Re: Counties

  • Marlene K. Markotan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
      I have found these towns on a modern road map of the Slovak Republic.
      Actually I had a relative who was born in Susany show me where the towns
      were located since I had trouble finding them in the index. Unfortunately
      this relative has had a couple of strokes and can't remember anything about
      the family beyond his parents.

      Thanks again for your help.

      Marlene

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
        Thanks I will try the FHS Microfilm first. How recent do the microfilm go?
        The earliest birth dates I have are for the 1890s. At least for this family
        I have the town names and locations in the Slovak Republic. The other
        families I am researching I don't have any idea where they came from. I
        have sent for a few death certificates and in each one the place of birth is
        Europe (real helpful) and the informant (who is a child of the deceased)
        doesn't know the names of the deceased parent's!

        Marlene Markotan
        Morgantown, PA

        Researching: Markotan, Hornick, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
        Kolenkas

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
          You start by finding the birth (or whatever) records you have info on
          already, and then work backwards when you find parents names, go to
          their marriages to find their parents names etc.

          That's how I worked the Sabinov films starting with known birth records
          in the 1860-1880's. I have them back to 1700 with some isolated notes in
          the 1600's that I am working to piece together on the people involved.

          Anything 1900 or after is considered private and you have to request the
          record via the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Washington DC. I
          haven't done that myself, but have the form here somewhere. I think they
          charge $15 US for each record.

          Sabinov films go to 1890-1895 depending on the sacrament. They cut off a
          bit early because I think the rest are in the book that includes 1900
          entries (my theory only). Still, you should be able to do really well
          with the set of films. Order the latest and work backwards.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
            In a message dated 01/06/2000 4:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            mmarkotan@... writes:

            > Marlene Markotan
            >
            > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
            > Kolenkas
            BTW Marlene my Grandfather's (AndrejAmbrisko) first wife was Maria,(Mary)
            Kovach!

            Maria Kovach was his first Wife, her Father John Kovach(mother Annie) (born
            in Burkowitz, Austria) was my Grandfathers Sponsor to come to the USA he
            immigrated on 2-4-1898 on the SS Havel. Andrej & Maria married on 11-19-1898
            in Ansonia Conn. @ St Peters and Paul Church, They settled in 89 Jersey St,
            Ansonia, Conn. she then had a baby Marion on 8-31-1899. Maria Kovach
            Ambrisko died 13 days after giving birth. per the 1900 Census Andrej and
            little Marion lived with the Kovach's @ 15 Clifton Ave in Ansonia, Ct as a
            boarder

            1st wife Mary Kovach(b. 9-1877, Burkowitz, Austria d.9-12-1899 in
            Ansonia, Ct)
            Father :John Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
            Mother: Annie Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
            Married: Andrej AMBRISKO on 11-19-1898, Peter & Paul Church, Ansonia, Ct.
            1 child Mary(Marion) E. Ambrisko (b. 8-31-1899 Ansonia Ct d.1975)
            m. George Brennan of Derby CT(b.1896 d. 1969 )
            Children:
            George Brennan (Sonny) b.
            m. Marge
            Mary Ellen (Miller)(b. )
            Danny (b. )
            Micheal (b. )
            Marion Brennan b.
            m.Jack Norris Palm Coast, Fl
            3 Children?
          • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
              I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....

              evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
              location Slovakia.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                I think they are getting caught up with their Slovak records. For example,
                there was no information on Liptovska Porubka when I checked last year, but
                it showed up a few months ago. So we can hope for further improvements!

                > I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....
                >
                > evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                > location Slovakia.
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                > sabinov@...
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              • sandraljanu
                Message 7 of 16 , May 25 10:23 AM
                  I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 25 12:14 PM
                    http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/varmegy.gif

                    I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 25 3:38 PM
                      Cool map Michael - it shows Ung County - in Slovak it is Uz~ i have been to those villages and was told at one time there was a road to Slovakia not closed off as it is now with the only border crossing at Uzhorod.

                      helene