Re: [S-R] Surnames: BALOGH, MITRO, ZAMBA, WARGUSKA, CSARNY, SEMAN, MAGYORAN,

  • Alyssa Eppich
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
      Michele,
      It's possible! In my research, I have found Maczko(Magyar spelling)
      spelled in various ways. In Slovakia, it is most usually spelled Macko or
      Maco, with a hacek over the c. In records from this side of the pond, I have
      seen it spelled Matsko, Mazko etc. It sure makes research fun.
      Mary Arendacs married my ggf around 1899(unsure of date because I have
      not personally been able to look at the marriage certificate at St. Mary's).
      My ggf had siblings, some of which came over in 1888/89 with him and his
      family. However, from what I can tell, several of them went back to the old
      country. Most of the information we have is from the death certificate of
      their oldest child, from letters written by friends and a nephew to my ggf
      in 1951 and from his Austrian military records, which confirmed the village.
      I'm still working on the family connections though!
      I have to find the original ship manifest to confirm the names of my ggf's
      Alyssa

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
        Michele,
        Do you know what town in Slovakia your family is from? Forgot to ask-

      • christopher gajda
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
          Alyssa - what village were your Orendas/Arendas relatives from? There is a Murcko family here in SharonPA who had Orendas/Arendas ancestors in Ujak/Udal near Plavnica in Saris county

          Alyssa Eppich <eppicha@...> wrote:
          Noreen,
          thank you soooo much! this is a part of my research that I have been
          trying to accomplish for eighteen months, but because of distance, could
          not.
          The names are :
          John Maczko dod 1951
          Mary (Orendas/Arendacs) Maczko dod 1934
          These are my ggps-both are said to be buried at St. Mary's in Saddle Brook

          Their oldest son, Emil Maczko, dod 1902, is buried at St. Peter's GC
          Cemetery.

          Yesterday's windchill here was anywhere from 30-40 below zero; however,
          the windchill atop Mt. Washington(1.5 hrs north) was 97 below! I, too, am
          from New Jersey and upstate New York, and boy, we never had anything that
          cold-talk to you soon-
          Alyssa

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
            Christopher,
            Although the Arendacs family emigrated from Presov and the Maczkos of my
            line from Velky SAris, I believe that the original lines came from
            Hajtovka(across the river from Plavnica I believe) and Maly Lipnik
            respectively, although I have not yet proved this. I did find a cousin of
            John Maczko, one Katarin Dembovsky from Lublo (present day Stara Lubovna),
            who came with her cousin Josefine Arendas from Eperjes(Presov) to visit her
            brother -in-law -my ggf- in Passaic NJ. It is this connection through
            Katarina Dembovsky that seems to support my assumption. I'm still working on
            it, but I think it might pan out in the end.

            Alyssa

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
              Alyssa -

              I could not find Hajtovka on my map; I did find a Hajluvky 1/2 mile from Ujak - is that what you meant? Just in case your family is from the same area, here are some links that might be of interest to you:

              http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/villages/udol.htm

              http://www.tccweb.org/udol.htm

              Alyssa Eppich <eppicha@...> wrote:
              Christopher,
              Although the Arendacs family emigrated from Presov and the Maczkos of my
              line from Velky SAris, I believe that the original lines came from
              Hajtovka(across the river from Plavnica I believe) and Maly Lipnik
              respectively, although I have not yet proved this. I did find a cousin of
              John Maczko, one Katarin Dembovsky from Lublo (present day Stara Lubovna),
              who came with her cousin Josefine Arendas from Eperjes(Presov) to visit her
              brother -in-law -my ggf- in Passaic NJ. It is this connection through
              Katarina Dembovsky that seems to support my assumption. I'm still working on
              it, but I think it might pan out in the end.

              Alyssa

              > Alyssa - what village were your Orendas/Arendas relatives from? There
              is a Murcko family here in SharonPA who had Orendas/Arendas ancestors in
              Ujak/Udal near Plavnica in Saris county

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                At 07:38 PM 1/17/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                >Alyssa -
                >
                >I could not find Hajtovka on my map;

                It is about a mile NW of Plavnica.

                http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=search&countryid=213&addtohistory=&country=SK&city=hajtovka&submit=Get+Map

                John
              • christopher gajda
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                  this is the same location for my "Hajlovky" - "Hajlovky" must be either a missprint or alternate name for Hajtovka

                  "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 07:38 PM 1/17/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Alyssa -
                  >
                  >I could not find Hajtovka on my map;

                  It is about a mile NW of Plavnica.

                  http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=search&countryid=213&addtohistory=&country=SK&city=hajtovka&submit=Get+Map

                  John

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Michele Baker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 17, 2004
                    John and Alyssa,
                    Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH, which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching and look for any connections.
                    Michele B.

                    > My family is also from Passaic. My grandmother, Anna Rosella SOPCHAK
                    (SOPCAK) was born there in 1890. Her parents were immigrants. Her mother
                    was Mary MATCKO (daughter of Michael), but I believe the last name is
                    misspelled. I wonder if it could be Maczko. Do you think there may be a
                    connection to your line?

                    > Michele

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                      Dear Michele,
                      This first name Mosich may well be Moses, which would indicate the Jewish
                      ethnicity.
                      Jews had names like Latzko for example, which would give a Matzko as a
                      possible original spelling of what you have as Matcko. Latzko or Matzko is
                      the german way of spelling surnames that in english would be Latsko and
                      Matsko , just to produce the same pronunciation.
                      A non Jew, would never have a name Moses.
                      This name was written also in different ways like Mojzis, Mojshe,Mojses etc.
                      The Jews typically have used the German spellings and many of their first
                      names were also german.
                      Vladimir

                      > Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional
                      possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's
                      name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH,
                      which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I
                      haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching
                      and look for any connections.
                      > Michele B.

                      Service.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      >

                      > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.593 (20040105) __________

                      > http://www.eset.sk

                    • Alyssa Eppich
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                        Christopher,
                        Here is information on Hajtovka from tcc.web

                        http://www.tccweb.org/hajtovka.htm
                        I've been to the others too, and they contain lots of valuable
                        information.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 18, 2004
                          Dear Vladimir,
                          Sorry for the confusion. My gr grandmother's death certificate shows her father's name as Michael MOSICH. My grandmother's social security application (in my grandmother's handwriting) shows her mother's maiden name as MATCKO.

                          Thank you for your response.
                          Michele B.

                          > Thank you for variations in spelling. This will provide additional
                          possibilities to search. I only have two documents that show my ggm's
                          name/spelling. Her death certificate shows her father's name as MOSICH,
                          which I have assumed is way off, and my grandmother's SS form has MATCKO. I
                          haven't found entry records or their village of origin. Will keep searching
                          and look for any connections.
                          > Michele B.

                          Service.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links