Re: Counties

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
      Maura, what a great idea. What we really need is a large map of modern
      Slovakia, superimposed onto the old borders of the Zupy, if that is the
      proper plural for Zupa. Then, links to lists that have the old Hungarian
      and new Slovak place names...

      I do love those 1910 Hungarian maps on the Web, because at least you can
      really see which villages were in what Zupa.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
        > I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list is
        > always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
        > husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany.

        Hi! Susany and H. Zaluzany (Hungarian name Fazekas-zsaluzsany) were
        both in old Gemer/Kis Hont County. They're just west of Rimavska
        Sobota (Hungarian name Rimaszombat). Kis Hont means Little Hont, it
        was merged with Gemer into one county - don't confuse it with plain
        old Hont, which was a separate county on its own.

        Hope this helps!

        Joe Armata
        joe@...
      • Marlene K. Markotan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
          Thanks. I had previously found the towns on my map, but the map doesn't
          have counties on it.

          Marlene Markotan

          Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
          Kolenkas

          >> I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list
          is
          >> always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
          >> husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany.
          >
          >Hi! Susany and H. Zaluzany (Hungarian name Fazekas-zsaluzsany) were
          >both in old Gemer/Kis Hont County. They're just west of Rimavska
          >Sobota (Hungarian name Rimaszombat). Kis Hont means Little Hont, it
          >was merged with Gemer into one county - don't confuse it with plain
          >old Hont, which was a separate county on its own.
          >
          >Hope this helps!
          >

          >Joe Armata
          >joe@...

          >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
          >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free coupons!

        • Marlene K. Markotan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
            I have found these towns on a modern road map of the Slovak Republic.
            Actually I had a relative who was born in Susany show me where the towns
            were located since I had trouble finding them in the index. Unfortunately
            this relative has had a couple of strokes and can't remember anything about
            the family beyond his parents.

            Thanks again for your help.

            Marlene

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
              Thanks I will try the FHS Microfilm first. How recent do the microfilm go?
              The earliest birth dates I have are for the 1890s. At least for this family
              I have the town names and locations in the Slovak Republic. The other
              families I am researching I don't have any idea where they came from. I
              have sent for a few death certificates and in each one the place of birth is
              Europe (real helpful) and the informant (who is a child of the deceased)
              doesn't know the names of the deceased parent's!

              Marlene Markotan
              Morgantown, PA

              Researching: Markotan, Hornick, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
              Kolenkas

            • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                You start by finding the birth (or whatever) records you have info on
                already, and then work backwards when you find parents names, go to
                their marriages to find their parents names etc.

                That's how I worked the Sabinov films starting with known birth records
                in the 1860-1880's. I have them back to 1700 with some isolated notes in
                the 1600's that I am working to piece together on the people involved.

                Anything 1900 or after is considered private and you have to request the
                record via the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Washington DC. I
                haven't done that myself, but have the form here somewhere. I think they
                charge $15 US for each record.

                Sabinov films go to 1890-1895 depending on the sacrament. They cut off a
                bit early because I think the rest are in the book that includes 1900
                entries (my theory only). Still, you should be able to do really well
                with the set of films. Order the latest and work backwards.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                  In a message dated 01/06/2000 4:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  mmarkotan@... writes:

                  > Marlene Markotan
                  >
                  > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
                  > Kolenkas
                  BTW Marlene my Grandfather's (AndrejAmbrisko) first wife was Maria,(Mary)
                  Kovach!

                  Maria Kovach was his first Wife, her Father John Kovach(mother Annie) (born
                  in Burkowitz, Austria) was my Grandfathers Sponsor to come to the USA he
                  immigrated on 2-4-1898 on the SS Havel. Andrej & Maria married on 11-19-1898
                  in Ansonia Conn. @ St Peters and Paul Church, They settled in 89 Jersey St,
                  Ansonia, Conn. she then had a baby Marion on 8-31-1899. Maria Kovach
                  Ambrisko died 13 days after giving birth. per the 1900 Census Andrej and
                  little Marion lived with the Kovach's @ 15 Clifton Ave in Ansonia, Ct as a
                  boarder

                  1st wife Mary Kovach(b. 9-1877, Burkowitz, Austria d.9-12-1899 in
                  Ansonia, Ct)
                  Father :John Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                  Mother: Annie Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                  Married: Andrej AMBRISKO on 11-19-1898, Peter & Paul Church, Ansonia, Ct.
                  1 child Mary(Marion) E. Ambrisko (b. 8-31-1899 Ansonia Ct d.1975)
                  m. George Brennan of Derby CT(b.1896 d. 1969 )
                  Children:
                  George Brennan (Sonny) b.
                  m. Marge
                  Mary Ellen (Miller)(b. )
                  Danny (b. )
                  Micheal (b. )
                  Marion Brennan b.
                  m.Jack Norris Palm Coast, Fl
                  3 Children?
                • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                    I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....

                    evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                    location Slovakia.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                      I think they are getting caught up with their Slovak records. For example,
                      there was no information on Liptovska Porubka when I checked last year, but
                      it showed up a few months ago. So we can hope for further improvements!

                      > I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....
                      >
                      > evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                      > location Slovakia.
                      >
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                      > sabinov@...
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    • sandraljanu
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                        I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/varmegy.gif

                          I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                            Cool map Michael - it shows Ung County - in Slovak it is Uz~ i have been to those villages and was told at one time there was a road to Slovakia not closed off as it is now with the only border crossing at Uzhorod.

                            helene