Jstvan

  • Brian Kettering
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hello

      Does anyone know if Jstvan could become James in
      America?
      Place of residence: Gronicza, ethnicity: Hungary
      arriving in 1903.
      His wife's father's place of residence: Dal. Pocatk,
      Bohemia, Ethnicity Austria, Bohemian. He arrived here
      later in 1913. I have no idea what the Dal. actually
      means. Greek/Bohemian shows up as language spoken in
      the census.
      Thank you for any help in this matter. I really
      appreciate it.
      Marcia
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        At 05:46 PM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote: Hello

        >Does anyone know if Jstvan could become James in America? Place of
        residence: Gronicza, ethnicity: Hungary arriving in 1903. His wife's
        father's place of residence: Dal. Pocatk, Bohemia, Ethnicity Austria,
        Bohemian. He arrived here later in 1913. I have no idea what the Dal.
        actually means. Greek/Bohemian shows up as language spoken in the census.
        Thank you for any help in this matter. I really appreciate it. Marcia<

        István - Hungarian [ nicknames = Pista, Pisti, Pityu, Pistika, Pityuka ]
        Stephen - English, Stephanus - Latin, Stephan -German

        There are three towns in the Czech Republic that are named Pocatky. The
        Dal may be an abreviation for the Czech word dals^i, which means
        farther. The words upper and lower, nearer and farther, etc are often used
        with town and village names. The name may have changed since the early
        twentieth century.

        John
      • cnovotni@fuse.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004