Re: [S-R] Re: Slavs and Slavons

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      When we refer to something in the Chinese region, we refer to the neuter
      objects, such as rugs, pottery, culture as Oriental. It is an adjective
      describing an object from the Orient. However, when we refer to the people from that
      region we refer to them as Asians. No longer do we "politically correctly" say
      Orientals. They can be further identified by country such as being Japanese,
      Chinese, Korean and on and on.
      After reading all of the emails, the Google searches and then my own hard
      copy of the Mirriam Webster two-volume dictionary on the term "Slavic, Slavish
      etc., my personal opinion is that the collective culture, region, language of
      the countries in that region can correctly be described as Slavic. The people,
      however, are best described by what they are such as Poles, Slovenes,
      Slovaks, Czechs, Russians, Georgians. Much as we would say Asians to describe the
      people collectively in Asia, I would suggest that the people in Poland,
      Slovakia, Slovenia, Russia, Czech Republic are collectively just called Europeans.
      East Europeans, Central Europeans, Western Europeans. Am I going off the deep
      end?? Paul M. where are you???
      Noreen

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        Dear Noreen,
        Your conclusion is correct.
        I just saw something on the TV an hour ago in connection with the genetic
        (DNA) research that was done in England recently. The final word was, that
        the word Celt or Celtic or Celts has been used in the past much too freely,
        in many cases not appropriate.
        I agree completely. Some history will have to be researched and rewritten
        again.
        As long as we have the choice between Slavic and Slavonian ( as to the
        official Webster), I opt for Slavic.
        Slavs are a great family of nations, with common language roots.
        How the name Slav or Slovan came about is impossible to prove.
        One has to consider, that the history of Slavs in Central and Southern
        Europe leads us back to Ukraine.
        There was no Christianity then. Slavs had their own Gods.
        One of them was the Goddess Slava. (english Glory)
        She was the Goddess of victory. All slavic Gods are on her chest. She was
        the cellestial mother.
        I found some links, that might be of interest about this subject.
        http://www.winterscapes.com/slavic.htm

        http://www.occultforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1023

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8933/bov.html

        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8933/bov.html