Re: Counties

  • Maura Petzolt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
      Don't get discouaged Marlene, figuring out the counties is really tricky
      for everyone.

      Remember tho that you are not going to find anything in the FHC catalog
      under Slovakia, or much under Slovak Republic as those are the new
      names. Records for the area which is now the Slovak Republic will be
      found under the location Hungary, and then the county or the town. So
      make sure you check under -Hungary- not somewhere else.

      You'll note that many of us who work with certain locations often give
      out a film # to look up under the "search by film or fiche #" feature
      (which you can also do on the website at familysearch.org) The catalog
      can be very confusing, and it's not cross referenced very well. A really
      good piece of advice I got when I first started was if you get confused,
      use the fiche catalog at the FHC (it's not on line obviously) as that is
      more cross referenced and inclusive. That's what I did when I started
      researching and I did find things that way that I know I never would
      have found in the CD catalog. So that's an option too.

      Don't go the Archives route until you've exhausted all the film
      possibilies. They'll just duplicate what you can find yourself, and
      sometimes they'll miss things because it's spelled kind of different or
      something. Before I knew how good the Sabinov records were I paid
      someone to research in the Presov archives for me. By the time I got the
      work from him I had already found everything he had and more myself on
      microfilm, as he had missed several items. And then it was just a
      transcription not copies as the archives give you transcriptions not
      copies. Lesson learned!

      I've tried for years to get a concise listing of all the former counties
      and match them to current names to no avail. Anyone know of a site with
      them? Or maybe that's an idea we should do as a project, as I do want to
      get our own SLOVAK-ROOTS site up soon....

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
        Many if not all of the records from the Slovak Republic are available now.
        I would imagine that the Family History web site can steer you to the right
        place, IF you know the town where the records are kept. That information is
        available on microfilm, but sometimes just asking people is an easier way to
        get it. For starters, have you found these villages on the map of modern
        Slovakia, so you at least know what major towns or cities they are near?

        Andrea, another crazed searcher

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
          Maura, what a great idea. What we really need is a large map of modern
          Slovakia, superimposed onto the old borders of the Zupy, if that is the
          proper plural for Zupa. Then, links to lists that have the old Hungarian
          and new Slovak place names...

          I do love those 1910 Hungarian maps on the Web, because at least you can
          really see which villages were in what Zupa.

          > Don't get discouaged Marlene, figuring out the counties is really tricky
          > for everyone.
          >
          > Remember tho that you are not going to find anything in the FHC catalog
          > under Slovakia, or much under Slovak Republic as those are the new
          > names. Records for the area which is now the Slovak Republic will be
          > found under the location Hungary, and then the county or the town. So
          > make sure you check under -Hungary- not somewhere else.
          >
          > You'll note that many of us who work with certain locations often give
          > out a film # to look up under the "search by film or fiche #" feature
          > (which you can also do on the website at familysearch.org) The catalog
          > can be very confusing, and it's not cross referenced very well. A really
          > good piece of advice I got when I first started was if you get confused,
          > use the fiche catalog at the FHC (it's not on line obviously) as that is
          > more cross referenced and inclusive. That's what I did when I started
          > researching and I did find things that way that I know I never would
          > have found in the CD catalog. So that's an option too.
          >
          > Don't go the Archives route until you've exhausted all the film
          > possibilies. They'll just duplicate what you can find yourself, and
          > sometimes they'll miss things because it's spelled kind of different or
          > something. Before I knew how good the Sabinov records were I paid
          > someone to research in the Presov archives for me. By the time I got the
          > work from him I had already found everything he had and more myself on
          > microfilm, as he had missed several items. And then it was just a
          > transcription not copies as the archives give you transcriptions not
          > copies. Lesson learned!
          >
          > I've tried for years to get a concise listing of all the former counties
          > and match them to current names to no avail. Anyone know of a site with
          > them? Or maybe that's an idea we should do as a project, as I do want to
          > get our own SLOVAK-ROOTS site up soon....
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          > sabinov@...
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        • Joe Armata
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
            > I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list is
            > always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
            > husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany.

            Hi! Susany and H. Zaluzany (Hungarian name Fazekas-zsaluzsany) were
            both in old Gemer/Kis Hont County. They're just west of Rimavska
            Sobota (Hungarian name Rimaszombat). Kis Hont means Little Hont, it
            was merged with Gemer into one county - don't confuse it with plain
            old Hont, which was a separate county on its own.

            Hope this helps!

            Joe Armata
            joe@...
          • Marlene K. Markotan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
              Thanks. I had previously found the towns on my map, but the map doesn't
              have counties on it.

              Marlene Markotan

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                I have found these towns on a modern road map of the Slovak Republic.
                Actually I had a relative who was born in Susany show me where the towns
                were located since I had trouble finding them in the index. Unfortunately
                this relative has had a couple of strokes and can't remember anything about
                the family beyond his parents.

                Thanks again for your help.

                Marlene

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                  Thanks I will try the FHS Microfilm first. How recent do the microfilm go?
                  The earliest birth dates I have are for the 1890s. At least for this family
                  I have the town names and locations in the Slovak Republic. The other
                  families I am researching I don't have any idea where they came from. I
                  have sent for a few death certificates and in each one the place of birth is
                  Europe (real helpful) and the informant (who is a child of the deceased)
                  doesn't know the names of the deceased parent's!

                  Marlene Markotan
                  Morgantown, PA

                  Researching: Markotan, Hornick, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
                  Kolenkas

                • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                    You start by finding the birth (or whatever) records you have info on
                    already, and then work backwards when you find parents names, go to
                    their marriages to find their parents names etc.

                    That's how I worked the Sabinov films starting with known birth records
                    in the 1860-1880's. I have them back to 1700 with some isolated notes in
                    the 1600's that I am working to piece together on the people involved.

                    Anything 1900 or after is considered private and you have to request the
                    record via the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Washington DC. I
                    haven't done that myself, but have the form here somewhere. I think they
                    charge $15 US for each record.

                    Sabinov films go to 1890-1895 depending on the sacrament. They cut off a
                    bit early because I think the rest are in the book that includes 1900
                    entries (my theory only). Still, you should be able to do really well
                    with the set of films. Order the latest and work backwards.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                      In a message dated 01/06/2000 4:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      mmarkotan@... writes:

                      > Marlene Markotan
                      >
                      > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
                      > Kolenkas
                      BTW Marlene my Grandfather's (AndrejAmbrisko) first wife was Maria,(Mary)
                      Kovach!

                      Maria Kovach was his first Wife, her Father John Kovach(mother Annie) (born
                      in Burkowitz, Austria) was my Grandfathers Sponsor to come to the USA he
                      immigrated on 2-4-1898 on the SS Havel. Andrej & Maria married on 11-19-1898
                      in Ansonia Conn. @ St Peters and Paul Church, They settled in 89 Jersey St,
                      Ansonia, Conn. she then had a baby Marion on 8-31-1899. Maria Kovach
                      Ambrisko died 13 days after giving birth. per the 1900 Census Andrej and
                      little Marion lived with the Kovach's @ 15 Clifton Ave in Ansonia, Ct as a
                      boarder

                      1st wife Mary Kovach(b. 9-1877, Burkowitz, Austria d.9-12-1899 in
                      Ansonia, Ct)
                      Father :John Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                      Mother: Annie Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                      Married: Andrej AMBRISKO on 11-19-1898, Peter & Paul Church, Ansonia, Ct.
                      1 child Mary(Marion) E. Ambrisko (b. 8-31-1899 Ansonia Ct d.1975)
                      m. George Brennan of Derby CT(b.1896 d. 1969 )
                      Children:
                      George Brennan (Sonny) b.
                      m. Marge
                      Mary Ellen (Miller)(b. )
                      Danny (b. )
                      Micheal (b. )
                      Marion Brennan b.
                      m.Jack Norris Palm Coast, Fl
                      3 Children?
                    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                        I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....

                        evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                        location Slovakia.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                          I think they are getting caught up with their Slovak records. For example,
                          there was no information on Liptovska Porubka when I checked last year, but
                          it showed up a few months ago. So we can hope for further improvements!

                          > I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....
                          >
                          > evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                          > location Slovakia.
                          >
                          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                          > sabinov@...
                          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                        • sandraljanu
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                            I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/varmegy.gif

                              I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

                            • helene cincebeaux
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                                Cool map Michael - it shows Ung County - in Slovak it is Uz~ i have been to those villages and was told at one time there was a road to Slovakia not closed off as it is now with the only border crossing at Uzhorod.

                                helene