Re: Gabris and Strba in Cadca

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2000
      Re: birth records for Cadca:

      Bummer--I just returned that microfilm a month ago! I could have looked
      them up for you.

      The FHC microfilm number is 1978903. It covers Cadca baptisms for
      1835-1896 (among other things)--my grandmother was born there in 1886. The
      years around 1886 are very clearly written and well microfilmed (lucky you!).

      You might also want to order film 1978904, which has Cadca marriages from
      1787-1902. If the earliest child was born 1880, I'd start looking in 1880
      and work backwards.

      To find the microfilm numbers for a given town, do the following:
      go to www.familysearch.org
      click on custom search
      click on family history library catalog
      click on place search
      type in "Cadca <part of> Slovakia"
      click on the highlighted town name
      click on church records (vs. Jewish records)
      click on highlighted words
      click on "view film notes"; it will then tell you which film numbers cover
      which years.

      Joe Armata, one of our most helpful list members, sent me the following a
      while back:

      >For Cadca, it has:
      >"Cadca is the administrative, commercial, cultural, and social
      >center of Kysuce. It arose in the second half of the 16th century.
      >It's mentioned in the year 1598 as Chateza on territory belonging
      >to the Strecno estate. In the 18th century it became a county town
      >with market privileges, and the seat of the border station. It lies
      >at 420 m above sea level, where the northern border of the
      >Javorniky hills meet with the Slovak Beskyd hills, in the upper
      >Kysuca river valley. It has 55 sections and 2 large affiliated
      >villages (Horelica with 23 settlements and Cadecka with 9
      >settlements). The inhabitants earned a living in the past by
      >farming, shepherding, wood processing, tinkering, peddling, sawmill
      >work, and the railroad. Today most work at industrial concerns and
      >farming. The population in 1869 was 3227, in 1970 it was 15,435,
      >and in 1980 23,576. Cadca has many cultural monuments, such as a
      >Baroque church from 1735, a synagogue from 1864, and various
      >memorial plaques of cultural noteworthies who worked in Kysuce (Dr.
      >Ivan Halek, Peter Jilemnicky, Janko Kral, Jan Palarik, Ondris
      >Jariabek, and others). In the near environs of the town are sports
      >and tourist facilities. The town hosts the folklore ensemble
      >Kysucan."

      Hope this is helpful; go order that microfilm and have fun!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...