Re: [S-R] Zatko

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
      At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

      No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
      others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

      John M.
    • rcuster@erols.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
        People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
        be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
        are talking about.

        Does Slavish mean Slovak?

        Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?

        Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

        If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
        Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone would
        let it go unquestioned.

        What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
        their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
        family of Slavic peoples and languages? That is as much a sociological
        question (in which I have much interest) as it is an academic one (which
        this list seems to have no interest in).

        RDC

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Jon Zatk

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
            At 10:26 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
            >be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
            >are talking about.

            We agree on that

            >Does Slavish mean Slovak?
            >
            >Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?
            >
            >Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

            The Slavish question comes up periodically on this and other Slavic
            lists. Since you are what I would consider to be a professional Rusyn,
            you know very well what language the people in the Rusyn village
            of Sapinec speak. The official language would be Slovak but I'm certain
            that many, if not most, speak Rusyn also. Since this is a Slovak list, I
            made the assumption that John Z. was interested in a translation into Slovak.

            >If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
            >Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone
            >would let it go unquestioned.

            You mean he wasn't? By the way, I believe the Slovak government was one of
            the first governments to recognize the codification of the Rusyn language.

            >What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
            >their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
            >family of Slavic peoples and languages?

            Again, I believe your question is a leading one since you have studied the
            area and S^apinec is listed as a Rusyn village on a site that you are
            associated with. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rusyn/genealogy.htm

            > That is as much a sociological question (in which I have much interest)

            Many of us who are familiar with your posts are aware of your expertise and
            interests. I feel you provide valuable information but at times are more
            interested in debating or promoting Rusyn issues than providing assistance.

            > as it is an academic one (which this list seems to have no interest in).

            Perhaps this might pique your academic appetite. "For example, in Svensk
            Ordbok the noun sebu is defined as puckeloxe 'hump-ox', but the latter word
            has no entry of its own; the adjective slavisk is split up in two indexed
            homonyms: slavisk1 'slavish' and slavisk2 'Slavic'. This adjective is used
            without index to define the (monosemous) verb slavisera: "göra (mera)
            slavisk" 'make more slavish/Slavic' (?); at this point we are left without
            help."

            John M.
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
              Dear Pat,
              In the old slovak Urbar books I found one instance of the surname Zatko. It
              was located in the village of Nemecka, belonged to the Castle Estate
              Slovenska Lupca in the year 1663.
              No Zatkos in the East or anywhere else.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

                No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
                others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

                John M.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • John M,
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                  At 12:02 PM 12/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                  >John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko
                  >in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                  My (Maczko, Macko) Matskos are from the Bardejov area.

                  John M.