Re: [S-R] Zatko

  • rcuster@erols.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
      John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

      I'm just wondering what you meant by that in your question and if there is
      somewhere I can read about this language.

      RDC

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
        At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

        No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
        others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

        John M.
      • rcuster@erols.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
          People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
          be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
          are talking about.

          Does Slavish mean Slovak?

          Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?

          Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

          If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
          Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone would
          let it go unquestioned.

          What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
          their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
          family of Slavic peoples and languages? That is as much a sociological
          question (in which I have much interest) as it is an academic one (which
          this list seems to have no interest in).

          RDC

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Jon Zatk
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
            PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I MADE MADE A MISTAKE. TO EVERYONE ON THIS LIST I APOLOGIZE. TO EVERYONE IN THE SLOVAK NATION I APOLOGIZE.

            It was not my intention to offend anyone. To Mr. Kurchina, Thank you. As always your point is to help people and not dwell on their mistakes, for this I thank you.

            John Zatkovich

            "rcuster@..." <rcuster@...> wrote:
[...]

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
              At 10:26 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
              >be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
              >are talking about.

              We agree on that

              >Does Slavish mean Slovak?
              >
              >Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?
              >
              >Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

              The Slavish question comes up periodically on this and other Slavic
              lists. Since you are what I would consider to be a professional Rusyn,
              you know very well what language the people in the Rusyn village
              of Sapinec speak. The official language would be Slovak but I'm certain
              that many, if not most, speak Rusyn also. Since this is a Slovak list, I
              made the assumption that John Z. was interested in a translation into Slovak.

              >If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
              >Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone
              >would let it go unquestioned.

              You mean he wasn't? By the way, I believe the Slovak government was one of
              the first governments to recognize the codification of the Rusyn language.

              >What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
              >their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
              >family of Slavic peoples and languages?

              Again, I believe your question is a leading one since you have studied the
              area and S^apinec is listed as a Rusyn village on a site that you are
              associated with. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rusyn/genealogy.htm

              > That is as much a sociological question (in which I have much interest)

              Many of us who are familiar with your posts are aware of your expertise and
              interests. I feel you provide valuable information but at times are more
              interested in debating or promoting Rusyn issues than providing assistance.

              > as it is an academic one (which this list seems to have no interest in).

              Perhaps this might pique your academic appetite. "For example, in Svensk
              Ordbok the noun sebu is defined as puckeloxe 'hump-ox', but the latter word
              has no entry of its own; the adjective slavisk is split up in two indexed
              homonyms: slavisk1 'slavish' and slavisk2 'Slavic'. This adjective is used
              without index to define the (monosemous) verb slavisera: "göra (mera)
              slavisk" 'make more slavish/Slavic' (?); at this point we are left without
              help."

              John M.
            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                Dear Pat,
                In the old slovak Urbar books I found one instance of the surname Zatko. It
                was located in the village of Nemecka, belonged to the Castle Estate
                Slovenska Lupca in the year 1663.
                No Zatkos in the East or anywhere else.
                Regards,
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                  John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                  "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                  >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

                  No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
                  others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

                  John M.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                    At 12:02 PM 12/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                    >John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko
                    >in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                    My (Maczko, Macko) Matskos are from the Bardejov area.

                    John M.