Re: [S-R] Zatko

  • Jon Zatk
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
      As far as I know the name has never been Zatko. I go back to 1776, My ancestral village is Kurma and Sapinec. But I'll bet that if you go back far enough we'd both get to the same family.

      John Zatkovich

      PRabich@... wrote:
      Hi John,

      I noticed your last name is Zatkovich. Was it ever Zatko. The reason I am
      asking is because my paternal Grandmother was Julianna Zatko from Bretejovce,
      SK.

      Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

    • rcuster@erols.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
        John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

        I'm just wondering what you meant by that in your question and if there is
        somewhere I can read about this language.

        RDC

        As far as I know the name has never been Zatko. I go back to 1776, My
        ancestral village is Kurma and Sapinec. But I'll bet that if you go back
        far enough we'd both get to the same family.

        John Zatkovich

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
          At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

          No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
          others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

          John M.
        • rcuster@erols.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
            People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
            be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
            are talking about.

            Does Slavish mean Slovak?

            Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?

            Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

            If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
            Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone would
            let it go unquestioned.

            What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
            their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
            family of Slavic peoples and languages? That is as much a sociological
            question (in which I have much interest) as it is an academic one (which
            this list seems to have no interest in).

            RDC

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Jon Zatk

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2003
                At 10:26 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >People can use whatever terms they like, but in a public forum there should
                >be some kind of common understanding of terms so that others know what they
                >are talking about.

                We agree on that

                >Does Slavish mean Slovak?
                >
                >Does Slavish mean "not Hard Russian"?
                >
                >Or perhaps it means "something like Russian but using the Slovak alphabet."

                The Slavish question comes up periodically on this and other Slavic
                lists. Since you are what I would consider to be a professional Rusyn,
                you know very well what language the people in the Rusyn village
                of Sapinec speak. The official language would be Slovak but I'm certain
                that many, if not most, speak Rusyn also. Since this is a Slovak list, I
                made the assumption that John Z. was interested in a translation into Slovak.

                >If I posted a message on a Slovak list (such as this one) saying Ludovit
                >Stur was the primary codifier of the Slavish language, I doubt anyone
                >would let it go unquestioned.

                You mean he wasn't? By the way, I believe the Slovak government was one of
                the first governments to recognize the codification of the Rusyn language.

                >What I would like to know is if people in Sapinec consider themselves and
                >their language to be Slavish, and if so, where does that fit in to the
                >family of Slavic peoples and languages?

                Again, I believe your question is a leading one since you have studied the
                area and S^apinec is listed as a Rusyn village on a site that you are
                associated with. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rusyn/genealogy.htm

                > That is as much a sociological question (in which I have much interest)

                Many of us who are familiar with your posts are aware of your expertise and
                interests. I feel you provide valuable information but at times are more
                interested in debating or promoting Rusyn issues than providing assistance.

                > as it is an academic one (which this list seems to have no interest in).

                Perhaps this might pique your academic appetite. "For example, in Svensk
                Ordbok the noun sebu is defined as puckeloxe 'hump-ox', but the latter word
                has no entry of its own; the adjective slavisk is split up in two indexed
                homonyms: slavisk1 'slavish' and slavisk2 'Slavic'. This adjective is used
                without index to define the (monosemous) verb slavisera: "göra (mera)
                slavisk" 'make more slavish/Slavic' (?); at this point we are left without
                help."

                John M.
              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                  Dear Pat,
                  In the old slovak Urbar books I found one instance of the surname Zatko. It
                  was located in the village of Nemecka, belonged to the Castle Estate
                  Slovenska Lupca in the year 1663.
                  No Zatkos in the East or anywhere else.
                  Regards,
                  Vladimir

                  > I noticed your last name is Zatkovich. Was it ever Zatko. The reason I
                  am
                  > asking is because my paternal Grandmother was Julianna Zatko from
                  Bretejovce,
                  > SK.
                  >
                  > Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  >

                  > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.581 (20031217) __________

                  > http://www.eset.sk

                • christopher gajda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                    John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                    "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:At 05:36 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                    >John, do they speak Slavish in Sapinec?

                    No, but in PA some do. In Sapinec some of the inhabitants speak slavishly
                    others speak ruthlessly. ;-)

                    John M.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 28, 2003
                      At 12:02 PM 12/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                      >John M - my grandfather's sister, nee Mary Vasko, was married to a Matsko
                      >in Uzhgorod. Any chance your family is from there?

                      My (Maczko, Macko) Matskos are from the Bardejov area.

                      John M.