Counties

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
      The map that Maura suggested shows the modern political divisions of the
      Slovak Republic, what we would call counties. Is that what the question was
      about, or was it the old counties like Saros= S~aris~, Abauj-Torna = Abov,
      etc.? Now personally I am a lot more interested in the latter, because
      historically the zupa was the location for my ancestral villages. For
      example, there is a gorgeous map of old Saros County at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg and it shows several of my
      ancestral villages, including some south of the border in old Abov County.
    • Marlene K. Markotan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
        I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list is
        always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
        husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany. A
        couple of people told me to check certain counties for other families I am
        interested in, but I am not sure where these counties are located since they
        don't appear on any of my maps. I would like to see if the FHS has
        microfilm of records for Susany and Zaluzany, but I figured I needed to know
        the name of the county first. Last time I was at a FHS they didn't have
        Slovak records on microfilm. I have ordered records from The Netherlands
        from the FHS so I know how their system works. I had to enter a county name
        and then a town to find the microfilm number for those. I tried to lookup
        the microfilm numbers on the FHS web site, but didn't find much for
        Slovakia. Someone told me they aren't on the web I have to go the the FHS
        and search on their computer.

        Also I had thought about writing to one of the Slovak Archives to obtain
        records. I was told each archive covers a particular region. Since none of
        the archives are located near the towns I am interested in I have no idea
        which one to write to. I thought maybe they were broken down into counties.

        Thanks

        Marlene Markotan
        Morgantown, PA

        Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
        Kolenkas

        >The map that Maura suggested shows the modern political divisions of the
        >Slovak Republic, what we would call counties. Is that what the question
        was
        >about, or was it the old counties like Saros= S~aris~, Abauj-Torna = Abov,
        >etc.? Now personally I am a lot more interested in the latter, because
        >historically the zupa was the location for my ancestral villages. For
        >example, there is a gorgeous map of old Saros County at
        >http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg and it shows several of my
        >ancestral villages, including some south of the border in old Abov County.

        >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
        >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free coupons!

        >and reply to the confirmation email we send you.

      • Maura Petzolt
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
          Don't get discouaged Marlene, figuring out the counties is really tricky
          for everyone.

          Remember tho that you are not going to find anything in the FHC catalog
          under Slovakia, or much under Slovak Republic as those are the new
          names. Records for the area which is now the Slovak Republic will be
          found under the location Hungary, and then the county or the town. So
          make sure you check under -Hungary- not somewhere else.

          You'll note that many of us who work with certain locations often give
          out a film # to look up under the "search by film or fiche #" feature
          (which you can also do on the website at familysearch.org) The catalog
          can be very confusing, and it's not cross referenced very well. A really
          good piece of advice I got when I first started was if you get confused,
          use the fiche catalog at the FHC (it's not on line obviously) as that is
          more cross referenced and inclusive. That's what I did when I started
          researching and I did find things that way that I know I never would
          have found in the CD catalog. So that's an option too.

          Don't go the Archives route until you've exhausted all the film
          possibilies. They'll just duplicate what you can find yourself, and
          sometimes they'll miss things because it's spelled kind of different or
          something. Before I knew how good the Sabinov records were I paid
          someone to research in the Presov archives for me. By the time I got the
          work from him I had already found everything he had and more myself on
          microfilm, as he had missed several items. And then it was just a
          transcription not copies as the archives give you transcriptions not
          copies. Lesson learned!

          I've tried for years to get a concise listing of all the former counties
          and match them to current names to no avail. Anyone know of a site with
          them? Or maybe that's an idea we should do as a project, as I do want to
          get our own SLOVAK-ROOTS site up soon....

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
            Many if not all of the records from the Slovak Republic are available now.
            I would imagine that the Family History web site can steer you to the right
            place, IF you know the town where the records are kept. That information is
            available on microfilm, but sometimes just asking people is an easier way to
            get it. For starters, have you found these villages on the map of modern
            Slovakia, so you at least know what major towns or cities they are near?

            Andrea, another crazed searcher

            > I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list
            is
            > always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
            > husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany.
            > couple of people told me to check certain counties for other families I am
            > interested in, but I am not sure where these counties are located since
            they
            > don't appear on any of my maps. I would like to see if the FHS has
            > microfilm of records for Susany and Zaluzany, but I figured I needed to
            know
            > the name of the county first. Last time I was at a FHS they didn't have
            > Slovak records on microfilm. I have ordered records from The Netherlands
            > from the FHS so I know how their system works. I had to enter a county
            name
            > and then a town to find the microfilm number for those. I tried to lookup
            > the microfilm numbers on the FHS web site, but didn't find much for
            > Slovakia. Someone told me they aren't on the web I have to go the the FHS
            > and search on their computer.
            >
            > Also I had thought about writing to one of the Slovak Archives to obtain
            > records. I was told each archive covers a particular region. Since none
            of
            > the archives are located near the towns I am interested in I have no idea
            > which one to write to. I thought maybe they were broken down into
            counties.

            > Thanks
            >
            > Marlene Markotan
            > Morgantown, PA
            >
            > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky,
            Kovach,
            > Kolenkas

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2000
              Maura, what a great idea. What we really need is a large map of modern
              Slovakia, superimposed onto the old borders of the Zupy, if that is the
              proper plural for Zupa. Then, links to lists that have the old Hungarian
              and new Slovak place names...

              I do love those 1910 Hungarian maps on the Web, because at least you can
              really see which villages were in what Zupa.

              > Don't get discouaged Marlene, figuring out the counties is really tricky
              > for everyone.
              >
              > Remember tho that you are not going to find anything in the FHC catalog
              > under Slovakia, or much under Slovak Republic as those are the new
              > names. Records for the area which is now the Slovak Republic will be
              > found under the location Hungary, and then the county or the town. So
              > make sure you check under -Hungary- not somewhere else.
              >
              > You'll note that many of us who work with certain locations often give
              > out a film # to look up under the "search by film or fiche #" feature
              > (which you can also do on the website at familysearch.org) The catalog
              > can be very confusing, and it's not cross referenced very well. A really
              > good piece of advice I got when I first started was if you get confused,
              > use the fiche catalog at the FHC (it's not on line obviously) as that is
              > more cross referenced and inclusive. That's what I did when I started
              > researching and I did find things that way that I know I never would
              > have found in the CD catalog. So that's an option too.
              >
              > Don't go the Archives route until you've exhausted all the film
              > possibilies. They'll just duplicate what you can find yourself, and
              > sometimes they'll miss things because it's spelled kind of different or
              > something. Before I knew how good the Sabinov records were I paid
              > someone to research in the Presov archives for me. By the time I got the
              > work from him I had already found everything he had and more myself on
              > microfilm, as he had missed several items. And then it was just a
              > transcription not copies as the archives give you transcriptions not
              > copies. Lesson learned!
              >
              > I've tried for years to get a concise listing of all the former counties
              > and match them to current names to no avail. Anyone know of a site with
              > them? Or maybe that's an idea we should do as a project, as I do want to
              > get our own SLOVAK-ROOTS site up soon....
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
              > sabinov@...
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            • Joe Armata
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                > I probably need to know the old counties. It seems everyone on this list is
                > always referring to one county or another and I don't know what county my
                > husband's family is from. The towns are Susany and Hrnciarske Zaluzany.

                Hi! Susany and H. Zaluzany (Hungarian name Fazekas-zsaluzsany) were
                both in old Gemer/Kis Hont County. They're just west of Rimavska
                Sobota (Hungarian name Rimaszombat). Kis Hont means Little Hont, it
                was merged with Gemer into one county - don't confuse it with plain
                old Hont, which was a separate county on its own.

                Hope this helps!

                Joe Armata
                joe@...
              • Marlene K. Markotan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                  Thanks. I had previously found the towns on my map, but the map doesn't
                  have counties on it.

                  Marlene Markotan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                    I have found these towns on a modern road map of the Slovak Republic.
                    Actually I had a relative who was born in Susany show me where the towns
                    were located since I had trouble finding them in the index. Unfortunately
                    this relative has had a couple of strokes and can't remember anything about
                    the family beyond his parents.

                    Thanks again for your help.

                    Marlene

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                      Thanks I will try the FHS Microfilm first. How recent do the microfilm go?
                      The earliest birth dates I have are for the 1890s. At least for this family
                      I have the town names and locations in the Slovak Republic. The other
                      families I am researching I don't have any idea where they came from. I
                      have sent for a few death certificates and in each one the place of birth is
                      Europe (real helpful) and the informant (who is a child of the deceased)
                      doesn't know the names of the deceased parent's!

                      Marlene Markotan
                      Morgantown, PA

                      Researching: Markotan, Hornick, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
                      Kolenkas

                    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                        You start by finding the birth (or whatever) records you have info on
                        already, and then work backwards when you find parents names, go to
                        their marriages to find their parents names etc.

                        That's how I worked the Sabinov films starting with known birth records
                        in the 1860-1880's. I have them back to 1700 with some isolated notes in
                        the 1600's that I am working to piece together on the people involved.

                        Anything 1900 or after is considered private and you have to request the
                        record via the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Washington DC. I
                        haven't done that myself, but have the form here somewhere. I think they
                        charge $15 US for each record.

                        Sabinov films go to 1890-1895 depending on the sacrament. They cut off a
                        bit early because I think the rest are in the book that includes 1900
                        entries (my theory only). Still, you should be able to do really well
                        with the set of films. Order the latest and work backwards.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 6, 2000
                          In a message dated 01/06/2000 4:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          mmarkotan@... writes:

                          > Marlene Markotan
                          >
                          > Researching: Markotan, Hornick/Hornak, Franko, Kocis, Farkasovsky, Kovach,
                          > Kolenkas
                          BTW Marlene my Grandfather's (AndrejAmbrisko) first wife was Maria,(Mary)
                          Kovach!

                          Maria Kovach was his first Wife, her Father John Kovach(mother Annie) (born
                          in Burkowitz, Austria) was my Grandfathers Sponsor to come to the USA he
                          immigrated on 2-4-1898 on the SS Havel. Andrej & Maria married on 11-19-1898
                          in Ansonia Conn. @ St Peters and Paul Church, They settled in 89 Jersey St,
                          Ansonia, Conn. she then had a baby Marion on 8-31-1899. Maria Kovach
                          Ambrisko died 13 days after giving birth. per the 1900 Census Andrej and
                          little Marion lived with the Kovach's @ 15 Clifton Ave in Ansonia, Ct as a
                          boarder

                          1st wife Mary Kovach(b. 9-1877, Burkowitz, Austria d.9-12-1899 in
                          Ansonia, Ct)
                          Father :John Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                          Mother: Annie Kovach, Burkowitz, Austria
                          Married: Andrej AMBRISKO on 11-19-1898, Peter & Paul Church, Ansonia, Ct.
                          1 child Mary(Marion) E. Ambrisko (b. 8-31-1899 Ansonia Ct d.1975)
                          m. George Brennan of Derby CT(b.1896 d. 1969 )
                          Children:
                          George Brennan (Sonny) b.
                          m. Marge
                          Mary Ellen (Miller)(b. )
                          Danny (b. )
                          Micheal (b. )
                          Marion Brennan b.
                          m.Jack Norris Palm Coast, Fl
                          3 Children?
                        • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                            I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....

                            evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                            location Slovakia.

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2000
                              I think they are getting caught up with their Slovak records. For example,
                              there was no information on Liptovska Porubka when I checked last year, but
                              it showed up a few months ago. So we can hope for further improvements!

                              > I"ve been asked by someone on the list to make a correction.....
                              >
                              > evidently you can find some counties in the catalog at the FHC under
                              > location Slovakia.
                              >
                              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                              > sabinov@...
                              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                            • sandraljanu
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                                I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/varmegy.gif

                                  I've been searching for Janu relatives from eastern Slovakia. familysearch.org has a lot of Slovakian church records. My problem is that they go by county and I don't know how to find counties that bordered the county of Bereg in Hungary prior to 1918. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

                                • helene cincebeaux
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 25, 2012
                                    Cool map Michael - it shows Ung County - in Slovak it is Uz~ i have been to those villages and was told at one time there was a road to Slovakia not closed off as it is now with the only border crossing at Uzhorod.

                                    helene