OFF TOPIC -- Recipe for Lemon Chicken

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2003
      Give this a try -- I first heard about it on the radio -- then heard some ladies discussing it on the train last week -- they raved about how much their families loved it -- so I asked if it was the same recipe I heard about on the radio and that's exactly where they heard about it too -- hope everyone loves it . . .

      Caye

      LEMON CHICKEN

      � Whole chicken (approximately 3 pounds)

      � Two medium lemons

      � Fresh Lemon juice (1/2 cup)

      � Kosher or sea salt

      � Ground black pepper

      Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temp (about 15 minutes). Pat dry with paper towels. Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and out). Season with salt and pepper. Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity. (Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.) Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 degrees and back uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons); return it to oven for 35 minutes more. Test for doneness � a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180 degrees, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork. Continue baking if necessary. Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving. Serve with juices.