Return the favor - Charitable Gifts to Non-profit Genealogy Groups

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2003
      Return the favor - Charitable Gifts to Non-profit Genealogy Groups

      In the season in which many charitable donations are made, I'd like to
      single out a couple of nonprofits that have been of exceeding value to to
      genealogists, Mormon's Family History Library(FHL) and Jewishgen. Both
      operations make their services and materials available to anyone, regardless
      of religious affiliation, no-strings-attached at little or no cost.

      I venture to say that many Eastern Europe researchers have benefitted from
      these services. They are both unparalleled in the value they have brought
      to thousands. Jewishgen's SHTETLSEEKER is a key tool in identifying
      sounds-like names, combining old an new names across more than 20 nations.
      The Mormon's FHL has traveled the world for decades, filming records of
      genealogical significance, negotiating with nations, creating the largest
      collection of records in the world, all at no cost, including use of
      facilities (save the film rental). I recommend these sites hundreds of
      times each year to new researchers.

      While these are not the only deserving non-profit genealogical
      organizations, Jewishgen and the FHL have made signifcant contributions to
      the advancement of our research. I have no connection or affiliation with
      either organization, other than as an end-user. I have shown my
      appreciation to both organizations with donations of my own.

      So while you're feeling a bit jolly, please consider donations to a
      genealogy-based non-profit institution, whether it be one of these two or
      another.

      http://www.jewishgen.org/JewishGen-erosity/
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/Pub_DonationstoLibrary.asp#f
      inancial_donations