Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
      Dear Christopher,
      It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather means
      brother in law.
      But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more acquainted
      with Rusyn terms of this sort.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
        Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
        and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
        a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
        as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
        (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

        Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
        (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
        the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
        (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

        Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
        referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
        not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
        syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
        godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
        them.

        MARIANNE

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Christopher,
        > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
        means
        > brother in law.
        > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
        acquainted
        > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
        > Vladimir

        Service.

        email to

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

        > > http://www.eset.sk

      • William F Brna
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
          "Stryna" is the wife of "Stryc" who is a paternal uncle. She would be an
          aunt on the father's side. Godfather is "Krstnyotec" and godmother is
          "Krstnamat". My parents also used "Kmotor" for godfather, but I do not
          know the distinction, unless it referred to my mother's godfather as
          opposed to mine.

          William F. Brna

        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 22, 2003
            Since nobody answered your specific query, let my give you my impression.
            "Cetka" appears to be a variation of "Tetka" which means aunt. The
            pronunciation of words vary from area to area. My father and his family came
            from central Slovakia (Liptov county) and my mother and her family from
            western Slovakia around Bratislava. They spoke a different brand of Slovak,
            sometimes pronouncing the very same work differently and other times using a
            totally different word to mean the same thing.