Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • christopher gajda
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 2003
      on photo's from my relatives in Uzhgorod they wrote the word "sovgor" to identify one man; I thought it might have been a misspelling of "svogor" but in his funeral pictures there is a wreath that has "shovgor" written in Cyrillic. Is this some kind of regional variation or is this an entirely different word?

      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Joe,
      Svagor is the brother of my wife.
      Svokor and svokra are her parents.
      We had a joke:
      Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
      without prescription.
      They are very understandable people:-)
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
        Dear Christopher,
        It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather means
        brother in law.
        But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more acquainted
        with Rusyn terms of this sort.
        Vladimir

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.557 (20031114) __________

        > > http://www.eset.sk
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

      • marianne50614
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
          Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
          and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
          a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
          as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
          (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

          Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
          (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
          the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
          (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

          Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
          referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
          not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
          syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
          godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
          them.

          MARIANNE

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
          wrote:
          > Dear Christopher,
          > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
          means
          > brother in law.
          > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
          acquainted
          > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
          > Vladimir

          Service.

          email to

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

          > > http://www.eset.sk

        • William F Brna
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
            "Stryna" is the wife of "Stryc" who is a paternal uncle. She would be an
            aunt on the father's side. Godfather is "Krstnyotec" and godmother is
            "Krstnamat". My parents also used "Kmotor" for godfather, but I do not
            know the distinction, unless it referred to my mother's godfather as
            opposed to mine.

            William F. Brna

          • Milan Huba
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 22, 2003
              Since nobody answered your specific query, let my give you my impression.
              "Cetka" appears to be a variation of "Tetka" which means aunt. The
              pronunciation of words vary from area to area. My father and his family came
              from central Slovakia (Liptov county) and my mother and her family from
              western Slovakia around Bratislava. They spoke a different brand of Slovak,
              sometimes pronouncing the very same work differently and other times using a
              totally different word to mean the same thing.