Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 7, 2003
      Maybe all of these terms were for a very good purpose. Slovak children
      certainly knew what relationship each adult was to them. That they would be so
      specific must have, at one time, been decided out of some sort of necessity.
      Noreen

    • christopher gajda
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 8, 2003
        on photo's from my relatives in Uzhgorod they wrote the word "sovgor" to identify one man; I thought it might have been a misspelling of "svogor" but in his funeral pictures there is a wreath that has "shovgor" written in Cyrillic. Is this some kind of regional variation or is this an entirely different word?

        Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Joe,
        Svagor is the brother of my wife.
        Svokor and svokra are her parents.
        We had a joke:
        Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
        without prescription.
        They are very understandable people:-)
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
          Dear Christopher,
          It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather means
          brother in law.
          But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more acquainted
          with Rusyn terms of this sort.
          Vladimir

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.557 (20031114) __________

          > > http://www.eset.sk
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

          > http://www.eset.sk

        • marianne50614
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
            Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
            and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
            a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
            as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
            (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

            Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
            (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
            the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
            (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

            Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
            referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
            not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
            syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
            godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
            them.

            MARIANNE

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
            wrote:
            > Dear Christopher,
            > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
            means
            > brother in law.
            > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
            acquainted
            > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
            > Vladimir

            Service.

            email to

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

            > > http://www.eset.sk

          • William F Brna
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
              "Stryna" is the wife of "Stryc" who is a paternal uncle. She would be an
              aunt on the father's side. Godfather is "Krstnyotec" and godmother is
              "Krstnamat". My parents also used "Kmotor" for godfather, but I do not
              know the distinction, unless it referred to my mother's godfather as
              opposed to mine.

              William F. Brna

            • Milan Huba
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 22, 2003
                Since nobody answered your specific query, let my give you my impression.
                "Cetka" appears to be a variation of "Tetka" which means aunt. The
                pronunciation of words vary from area to area. My father and his family came
                from central Slovakia (Liptov county) and my mother and her family from
                western Slovakia around Bratislava. They spoke a different brand of Slovak,
                sometimes pronouncing the very same work differently and other times using a
                totally different word to mean the same thing.