relationships

  • Joe Mrnka
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hi,

      I lived in the area of Trenc^in, and these terms usually
      applied:
      S^vagor - brother-in-law
      S^vagrina - sister in law
      Svat - father-in-law in relationship with the other
      parents-in-law
      Svatka - mother-in-law by same definition
      Svokor - my spouses father
      Svokra - my spouses mother

      Teta - aunt on mothers side
      Ujo - uncle on moters side
      Stryco (Stryko) - uncle on fathers side
      Stryna - aunt on father side

      Kmotrovci are the god-parents with relation to the real
      parents

      It's different how what is an affectionate term on one side
      of the country, my be even derogative in some locations. I
      have always understood "tetka" as an unwelcome older female
      guest or even a gossip.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Jean & Harry Helbrecht
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
        Hi Joe,
        When you lived in Trenc^in, did you know the Ondrej Kuka family?
        Jean