Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
      In a message dated 12/6/03 3:27:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      konekta@... writes:

      > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
      > without prescription.

      Vladimir,
      we will tell your mother in law what you said. hahahaha :O)
      Noreen

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
        Noreen,
        She knows that all right. That's why she never wants to eat my delicious
        cooking:-)
        A discouraging " My to ne jedavame" = We don't eat that.; is always the
        answer.
        But I'll keep trying.
        Vladimir

        > In a message dated 12/6/03 3:27:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > konekta@... writes:
        >
        > > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
        > > without prescription.
        > >

        > Vladimir,
        > we will tell your mother in law what you said. hahahaha :O)
        > Noreen

        > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

        > http://www.eset.sk

      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
          Hi Vlad! The Ethnographic Atlas of Slovakia has a map for terms
          for parents-in-law.

          Looking at it closely, svokor/svokra is by far the most common,
          it blankets the country, with other terms marked as smaller areas
          all over the place.

          Other terms are test/testina, svat/svacha, svagor/svagrina,
          apos/anos (Hungarian areas), ipamuram/napamason (Hungarian
          areas), svigerfater/svigermuter (German areas); quite a few areas
          are marked as having no special terms for parents-in-law - I
          guess some things are just not discussed there :^)!

          It looks like svagor/svagrina is used marked for
          father-in-law/mother-in-law in an area to the east of Topolcany.
          That usage is shown by blue stripes on the map, and it's really
          hard to tell the blue stripes from the green stripes elsewhere,
          but I think that's the only area with the blue stripes, so it
          might be limited to there.

          Joe

          > Dear Joe,
          > Svagor is the brother of my wife.
          > Svokor and svokra are her parents.
          > We had a joke:
          > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
          > without prescription.
          > They are very understandable people:-)
          > Vladimir

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 7, 2003
            Dear Joe,
            This matter is very complicated. I read about it now in the book Traditions
            of the slovak family and came to the conclusion, that for an individual, it
            is the best just to ask his relatives for the terms they are using.
            These terms depend upon the geographical location, the time taken into
            consideration and even the ethnicity of the family. Although, they are let
            us say slovak families, in fact, many were of different ethnicities, which
            have their own specifics.
            And, of course, if you are using one term for a particular person, your
            child can not use the same term, your wife can not use the same term etc.
            This is when it gets complicated. What to remember and for who'se use?
            The book says, that parents often were practicing using terms, that their
            children were suppose to use, just to teach their own children of correct
            terms.
            So, when the mother said: " Ujo prisiel", it was an Ujo to the child, not to
            her.
            I read, that there about 35 to 40 such terms to be found on the territory of
            Slovakia in different times.
            In general, any strange man is an Ujo to the child.At least here, in Western
            Slovakia.
            Vladimir

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 7, 2003
              Maybe all of these terms were for a very good purpose. Slovak children
              certainly knew what relationship each adult was to them. That they would be so
              specific must have, at one time, been decided out of some sort of necessity.
              Noreen

            • christopher gajda

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
                  Dear Christopher,
                  It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather means
                  brother in law.
                  But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more acquainted
                  with Rusyn terms of this sort.
                  Vladimir

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.557 (20031114) __________

                  > > http://www.eset.sk
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

                  > http://www.eset.sk

                • marianne50614
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
                    Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
                    and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
                    a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
                    as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
                    (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

                    Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
                    (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
                    the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
                    (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

                    Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
                    referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
                    not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
                    syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
                    godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
                    them.

                    MARIANNE

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
                    wrote:
                    > Dear Christopher,
                    > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
                    means
                    > brother in law.
                    > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
                    acquainted
                    > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
                    > Vladimir

                    Service.

                    email to

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

                    > > http://www.eset.sk

                  • William F Brna
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
                      "Stryna" is the wife of "Stryc" who is a paternal uncle. She would be an
                      aunt on the father's side. Godfather is "Krstnyotec" and godmother is
                      "Krstnamat". My parents also used "Kmotor" for godfather, but I do not
                      know the distinction, unless it referred to my mother's godfather as
                      opposed to mine.

                      William F. Brna

                    • Milan Huba
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 22, 2003
                        Since nobody answered your specific query, let my give you my impression.
                        "Cetka" appears to be a variation of "Tetka" which means aunt. The
                        pronunciation of words vary from area to area. My father and his family came
                        from central Slovakia (Liptov county) and my mother and her family from
                        western Slovakia around Bratislava. They spoke a different brand of Slovak,
                        sometimes pronouncing the very same work differently and other times using a
                        totally different word to mean the same thing.