Re: [S-R] terms for family members

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003
      When I was a mere lad, I refered to my great aunt as "tsetka". She
      was from Trebisov. My grandmother, who instructed me on what to call
      my great aunt, was from Malcov.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yawho2001" <jmatsko4@c...>
      wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MAMallon" <mamallon@a...>
      wrote:
      > > I call all my Slovak Aunts by what I know as an endearing term
      for
      > an
      > > aunt...... "Tetka".
      >
      > We used the term "tsetka" for aunt. I uploaded a file to the
      Slovak
      > Roots file section that contains many of the common terms used in
      > research reports including family titles. Look for the file GLOS-
      > SK.htm. Some of the other terms are: uncle = stry'ko(ujko in
      Rusyn),
      > father-in-law = svokor, brother-in-law = s^vagor, etc. I believe
      > Frank from this list may have originated the list.
      >
      > John M.
    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003
        Kinship terms are really complicated! The old Slavs seemed to
        have a separate word for every sort of relationship; and the old
        terms along with imports from German and Hungarian are often used
        in different ways in different parts of the country.

        Unfortunately, s~vagor can be either: father-in-law or
        brother-in-law, depending on local usage. For father-in-law, it
        traditionally refers to the wife's parents, though it wouldn't be
        surprising if it were used for the husband's father too
        somewhere.

        Tyotka/tetka/tsetka and variations are general terms for aunt.

        Traditionally, terms based on stri-/stry- refer to uncles and
        aunts on your father's side, while those with vuj-/uj- refer to
        uncles and aunts on your mother's side.

        So striko and strina would be uncle and aunt respectively on the
        father's side, while vuyko and vuyna would be the same on the
        mother's side.

        Joe

        > Does anyone know the precise relationship for "sovgor" (shovgor)? Based
        > on some old photos and letters I had thoght "sovgor" meant
        > brother-in-law, but recently some Russian exchange students told me
        > "sovgor" was father-in-law.
        >
        > Recently someone had wrote about the terms used for various family
        > members; in letters from Uzhgorod to my grandmother her neices who grew
        > up in the Austro-Hungarian and Czechoslovak periods addressed her as
        > "Tyutka" - but their children who grew up in USSR after WWII addressed
        > my grandparents as "Strika i Strina". My grandmother sometimes used a
        > word which sounded to me like "way-ka" for "uncle".
      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003
          Funny, I remember everyone calling my Slovak great aunt: Cetka.
          Susan Friedhaber-Hard

          pewterj <pewterj@...> wrote:
          I remember calling my Slovak Aunt "Cetcie Annie". Does "Cetcie" mean
          Aunt? I'm new to this group so please excuse my ignorance! Thanks.
          Mary

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • yawho2001
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
            <JArmata@g...> wrote:

            > So striko and strina would be uncle and aunt respectively on the
            > father's side, while vuyko and vuyna would be the same on the
            > mother's side.
            >
            > Joe

            Thanks Joe,

            I had no relatives on my father's side in America so althouh I heard
            the term stryko used occasionally,I didn't associate it with paternal
            uncles. I did have maternal aunts and uncles so ujko and tsetka were
            the only terms I used frequently. These were the terms used by rusyn
            villages in the Bardejov area.

            John
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003
              Dear Joe,
              Svagor is the brother of my wife.
              Svokor and svokra are her parents.
              We had a joke:
              Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
              without prescription.
              They are very understandable people:-)
              Vladimir

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
                In a message dated 12/6/03 3:27:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                konekta@... writes:

                > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
                > without prescription.

                Vladimir,
                we will tell your mother in law what you said. hahahaha :O)
                Noreen

              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
                  Noreen,
                  She knows that all right. That's why she never wants to eat my delicious
                  cooking:-)
                  A discouraging " My to ne jedavame" = We don't eat that.; is always the
                  answer.
                  But I'll keep trying.
                  Vladimir

                  > In a message dated 12/6/03 3:27:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > konekta@... writes:
                  >
                  > > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
                  > > without prescription.
                  > >

                  > Vladimir,
                  > we will tell your mother in law what you said. hahahaha :O)
                  > Noreen

                  > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

                  > http://www.eset.sk

                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2003
                    Hi Vlad! The Ethnographic Atlas of Slovakia has a map for terms
                    for parents-in-law.

                    Looking at it closely, svokor/svokra is by far the most common,
                    it blankets the country, with other terms marked as smaller areas
                    all over the place.

                    Other terms are test/testina, svat/svacha, svagor/svagrina,
                    apos/anos (Hungarian areas), ipamuram/napamason (Hungarian
                    areas), svigerfater/svigermuter (German areas); quite a few areas
                    are marked as having no special terms for parents-in-law - I
                    guess some things are just not discussed there :^)!

                    It looks like svagor/svagrina is used marked for
                    father-in-law/mother-in-law in an area to the east of Topolcany.
                    That usage is shown by blue stripes on the map, and it's really
                    hard to tell the blue stripes from the green stripes elsewhere,
                    but I think that's the only area with the blue stripes, so it
                    might be limited to there.

                    Joe

                    > Dear Joe,
                    > Svagor is the brother of my wife.
                    > Svokor and svokra are her parents.
                    > We had a joke:
                    > Show a photo of your svokra in a drug store and you can get any poison
                    > without prescription.
                    > They are very understandable people:-)
                    > Vladimir

                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 7, 2003
                      Dear Joe,
                      This matter is very complicated. I read about it now in the book Traditions
                      of the slovak family and came to the conclusion, that for an individual, it
                      is the best just to ask his relatives for the terms they are using.
                      These terms depend upon the geographical location, the time taken into
                      consideration and even the ethnicity of the family. Although, they are let
                      us say slovak families, in fact, many were of different ethnicities, which
                      have their own specifics.
                      And, of course, if you are using one term for a particular person, your
                      child can not use the same term, your wife can not use the same term etc.
                      This is when it gets complicated. What to remember and for who'se use?
                      The book says, that parents often were practicing using terms, that their
                      children were suppose to use, just to teach their own children of correct
                      terms.
                      So, when the mother said: " Ujo prisiel", it was an Ujo to the child, not to
                      her.
                      I read, that there about 35 to 40 such terms to be found on the territory of
                      Slovakia in different times.
                      In general, any strange man is an Ujo to the child.At least here, in Western
                      Slovakia.
                      Vladimir

                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 7, 2003
                        Maybe all of these terms were for a very good purpose. Slovak children
                        certainly knew what relationship each adult was to them. That they would be so
                        specific must have, at one time, been decided out of some sort of necessity.
                        Noreen

                      • christopher gajda

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 12, 2003
                            Dear Christopher,
                            It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather means
                            brother in law.
                            But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more acquainted
                            with Rusyn terms of this sort.
                            Vladimir

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.557 (20031114) __________

                            > > http://www.eset.sk
                            > >

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

                            > http://www.eset.sk

                          • marianne50614
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
                              Thanks for this string of messages re: terms for grandparents, aunts
                              and uncles. My cousins and I have been curious about the identity of
                              a woman whose identity is listed on the back of her old photo
                              as "Strina". The rest of the description we were unable to read
                              (sadly, my generation didn't learn to read Slovak or Rusyn).

                              Though my cousins and I share at least one great-great-grandfather
                              (GGF), we had all heard different terms for "aunt" or "uncle", and
                              the replies I've seen here have cleared up why they were different.
                              (Our paternal ancestors are related to one another.)

                              Question: How would one refer to their godparents? My mother
                              referred to her godmother as "Nina" and her godfather as "Bacsi" (I'm
                              not sure of the spelling; pronounced "bahch-ee", accent more on first
                              syllable). She wasn't sure if these were actually the terms for
                              godparents or more "terms of endearment" she was taught to use for
                              them.

                              MARIANNE

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
                              wrote:
                              > Dear Christopher,
                              > It is one of the two possibilities, where I would think, it rather
                              means
                              > brother in law.
                              > But, to be sure, one would have to ask somebody, that is more
                              acquainted
                              > with Rusyn terms of this sort.
                              > Vladimir

                              Service.

                              email to

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.573 (20031205) __________

                              > > http://www.eset.sk

                            • William F Brna
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
                                "Stryna" is the wife of "Stryc" who is a paternal uncle. She would be an
                                aunt on the father's side. Godfather is "Krstnyotec" and godmother is
                                "Krstnamat". My parents also used "Kmotor" for godfather, but I do not
                                know the distinction, unless it referred to my mother's godfather as
                                opposed to mine.

                                William F. Brna

                              • Milan Huba
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 22, 2003
                                  Since nobody answered your specific query, let my give you my impression.
                                  "Cetka" appears to be a variation of "Tetka" which means aunt. The
                                  pronunciation of words vary from area to area. My father and his family came
                                  from central Slovakia (Liptov county) and my mother and her family from
                                  western Slovakia around Bratislava. They spoke a different brand of Slovak,
                                  sometimes pronouncing the very same work differently and other times using a
                                  totally different word to mean the same thing.