terms for family members

  • christopher gajda
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Does anyone know the precise relationship for "sovgor" (shovgor)? Based on some old photos and letters I had thoght "sovgor" meant brother-in-law, but recently some Russian exchange students told me "sovgor" was father-in-law.

      Recently someone had wrote about the terms used for various family members; in letters from Uzhgorod to my grandmother her neices who grew up in the Austro-Hungarian and Czechoslovak periods addressed her as "Tyutka" - but their children who grew up in USSR after WWII addressed my grandparents as "Strika i Strina". My grandmother sometimes used a word which sounded to me like "way-ka" for "uncle".