Under the hood of www.ellisisland.org

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2003
      Under the hood of <http://www.ellisisland.org/> www.ellisisland.org

      For those with an technical interest of what makes the Ellis Island
      database tick, I have pulled together some of the details below.

      Launched, April 17, 2001. First day 27,000 queries per second.
      Needless to say, system was overloaded.

      After a quick re-work, the configuration was upgraded as follows:

      Oracle database server, two-node cluster using HP Proliant 580 Quad
      Processor Servers, Oracle 9i RAC cluster, Linux 7.2
      25 Web Servers - HP Proliant DL360, Windows 2000 Advanced Server
      Two HP ML530 application servers (presumably e-commerce)
      Two Mail Servers running Cobalt RaQ

      HP Procurve 8000 serves as backbone
      Cisco Catalyst 3600 Router
      Radware Web Server Director (WSD)-Pro+
      1.5 Terrabyte of Storage, Network Appliance F820 filer, 3 Terrabyte
      capacity
      Offsite web hosting by Webcentric

      Recent Statistics
      1.5 terrabyte available storage including 500GB of images and a 50GB
      main database
      70 million visitors/month
      25 million passenger records
      40,000 hits per hour from new (2003) link to AOL home page

      Compiled by Bill Tarkulich

    • Karen Salay
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Is there any way to query by village

        thanks
        Karen
        --- Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:
        > Under the hood of <http://www.ellisisland.org/>
        > www.ellisisland.org
        >
        > For those with an technical interest of what makes
        > the Ellis Island
        > database tick, I have pulled together some of the
        > details below.
        >

        > Launched, April 17, 2001. First day 27,000 queries
        > per second.
        > Needless to say, system was overloaded.
        >
        > After a quick re-work, the configuration was
        > upgraded as follows:
        >
        > Oracle database server, two-node cluster using HP
        > Proliant 580 Quad
        > Processor Servers, Oracle 9i RAC cluster, Linux 7.2
        > 25 Web Servers - HP Proliant DL360, Windows 2000
        > Advanced Server
        > Two HP ML530 application servers (presumably
        > e-commerce)
        > Two Mail Servers running Cobalt RaQ
        >
        > HP Procurve 8000 serves as backbone
        > Cisco Catalyst 3600 Router
        > Radware Web Server Director (WSD)-Pro+
        > 1.5 Terrabyte of Storage, Network Appliance F820
        > filer, 3 Terrabyte
        > capacity
        > Offsite web hosting by Webcentric
        >

        > Recent Statistics
        > 1.5 terrabyte available storage including 500GB of
        > images and a 50GB
        > main database
        > 70 million visitors/month
        > 25 million passenger records
        > 40,000 hits per hour from new (2003) link to AOL
        > home page
        >
        > Compiled by Bill Tarkulich

        > removed]

      • squinch42
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          Yes, there is. If you use the Steve Morse site (on JewGen) you can
          search using the first letter of the person's surname and village. I
          grabed all years from 1892 to 1924 for Orlo. The data also printed
          out Orlov and some other spellings and villages not in Slovakia. You
          may have to use several spelling variations as the site still can't
          tell when the Ellis Island village data is wrong.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen Salay <karen_salay@y...>