Stary Family

  • judyra42@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4 11:29 PM
      I am looking for information on Frank Stary who emigrated
      to the U.S in 1902. He was born in Sabinov, Austria in 1869
      and later married Annie from Slavatin or Salvatin, Austria.
      They also had four children who were born in Austria (Joseph,
      Anna, John, and Frank) and two others who were born in the
      U.S. (Mary and Anthony). Also, where can I find information
      on the location of these two towns?
      Thanks.
      Judy
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5 3:07 PM
        Sabinov was in Austria-Hungary, not Austria.
        It is listed as part of Hungary in the catalog at the FHC.

        Nearly all of my maternal line lived in Sabinov from the late 1600's to
        now. The Catholic records are well filmed by the FHC until approximately
        1895, however, they are not indexed, but are relatively easy to use once
        you get the hang of it. You can use film # 1793694 to look the listing
        up in the catalog at the FHC (use search by film # feature) as Sabinov
        is listed under the Hungarian name of Kis-Zeben, not under Sabinov.

        Anyone from Sabinov in the old days will commonly refer to themselves
        as Hungarian, not Austrian. My great grandparents (according to my
        mother) were adamant that she was from Hungary (Sabinov) and he was
        Austrian (as he was from Bohemia)! Now my relatives there seem to just
        say "Slovak" as nationality, but identify more with Hungary than Germany
        (Austria).

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5 3:18 PM
          This identification may have had a lot to do with personal feelings and
          nationalist sentiments. A lot of Slovak immigrants, including most of the
          people in my family, identified their country of origin as Austria rather
          than Hungary. The only one who chose the latter was the family
          "Hungarianizer" or Magyaron who had been "raised Hungarian" by her Slovak
          family.

          > Sabinov was in Austria-Hungary, not Austria.
          > It is listed as part of Hungary in the catalog at the FHC.
          >
          > Nearly all of my maternal line lived in Sabinov from the late 1600's to
          > now. The Catholic records are well filmed by the FHC until approximately
          > 1895, however, they are not indexed, but are relatively easy to use once
          > you get the hang of it. You can use film # 1793694 to look the listing
          > up in the catalog at the FHC (use search by film # feature) as Sabinov
          > is listed under the Hungarian name of Kis-Zeben, not under Sabinov.
          >
          > Anyone from Sabinov in the old days will commonly refer to themselves
          > as Hungarian, not Austrian. My great grandparents (according to my
          > mother) were adamant that she was from Hungary (Sabinov) and he was
          > Austrian (as he was from Bohemia)! Now my relatives there seem to just
          > say "Slovak" as nationality, but identify more with Hungary than Germany
          > (Austria).
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          > sabinov@...
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          > and reply to the confirmation email we send you.

        • Jim Honeychuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5 5:15 PM
            Search here http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm
            and you will find Sabinov right away. There are too many possibilities for
            the other town, but maybe you can narrow it down.

            Jim

          • MarthaSol@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7 9:04 AM
              Thank you Maura. You saved me some time looking for Sabinov records. The
              Soltesz (Soltiss or whatever) family had been there since before 1900. Abt 20
              yrs ago, family there was visited by relatives from here who are now
              deceased. There were adult children and grandchildren then of Tony or Anthony
              Soltesz. So I am sure there still must be some of the family there. Had
              thought it would be easier to contact them and get info.. Person looked for
              me in "Sabinov" section of phone directory but no Soltesz listing. Didn't
              think to suggest other spellings. Maybe no phone.
              Martha Soltesz