Tsar Nicholas

  • June Mckee
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
      Frank, you give so much helpful information on history that I know everyone enjoys. I was just curious if you knew much about Tsar Nicholas II ? I know pretty much of the history but was curious how to find out who his bishops were? My g-grandfather I beleive was one of his bishops but I am not sure as of yet what his name was. I only know what my mother has told me and that is not much except it was her grandfather. I wasnt aware that he had bishops?

      thanks,
      June

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June Mckee" <junemckee@y...>
        wrote:
        > Frank, you give so much helpful information on history that I
        know everyone enjoys. I was just curious if you knew much about
        Tsar Nicholas II ? I know pretty much of the history but was curious
        how to find out who his bishops were? My g-grandfather I beleive
        was one of his bishops but I am not sure as of yet what his name was.
        I only know what my mother has told me and that is not much
        except it was her grandfather. I wasnt aware that he had bishops?

        > thanks,
        > June

        June
        Nicholas II of Russia (1868-1918)
        Tsar of Russia (1894-1917)

        Nicholas II, son of Czar Alexander III,
        as born in the year of 1868. As a child
        he was educated by Pobyedonostev, the
        lay head of the Russian Orthodox
        Church. In 1894, he took on the role of
        czar after his father's death. Nicholas II
        wanted to keep the same autocratic rule
        that his father had, and that was the
        basis of his reign as czar.

        If your g-GF had been a Russian Orthodox bishop there
        is about a 20 year period during which this could have
        happened.

        More important, he was a Bishop of what and where ?
        And Bishop of what Diocese then, not today ?
        Believe Russian Orthodox priests were given a choice of marriage
        or celibacy ?

        http://www.synod.com/

        Bishops and Dioceses

        http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/
        firsttier/diocesesbishops.html

        http://countrystudies.us/russia/38.htm

        Frank K
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
          Orthodox may marry before ordination only. If a spouse dies after
          ordination, they may not remarry.
          Church hierarchy must remain celibate their entire lives. Thus, a married
          priest can never become the big cheese.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          ?

          http://www.synod.com/

          Bishops and Dioceses

          http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/
          firsttier/diocesesbishops.html

          http://countrystudies.us/russia/38.htm

          Frank K

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
        • Richard D. Custer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
            > Orthodox may marry before ordination only. If a spouse dies after
            > ordination, they may not remarry.
            > Church hierarchy must remain celibate their entire lives. Thus, a married
            > priest can never become the big cheese.

            But a widowed priest can. There are many examples of this. Usually a
            widowed priest will take monastic vows before being consecrated a bishop
            (since bishops are usually chosen from the monastic clergy).

            Thus there are Orthodox bishops who have had children.

            RDC
          • June Mckee
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
              Frank , Bill and Richard, thanks for the information on the Tsar.
              I was talking to my mother and we think that it could have been my g-grandmothers brother that was a bishop. I don't know which diocese it would have been other than my g-grandmother was born in Kazan and my grandmother was born in Samara. They emmigrated to the westcoast in about 1908 but her sibblings never came with her. She had several pictures of priests and Bishops, which my mother still has but no names of who they are. I am not sure how to find out exactly where this would have taken place in Russia. My grandmother and her mother always attended the Russian Orthodox Church in San Francisco. My g-grandmother was born about 1866 but I don't know anything about her sibblings.

              I really appreciate all of the information and sites that has been given , I find it very interesting reading and have learned so much with all of the help that so many given from this list.

              thanks,
              June----- Original Message -----
              > Frank, you give so much helpful information on history that I
              know everyone enjoys. I was just curious if you knew much about
              Tsar Nicholas II ? I know pretty much of the history but was curious
              how to find out who his bishops were? My g-grandfather I beleive
              was one of his bishops but I am not sure as of yet what his name was.
              I only know what my mother has told me and that is not much
              except it was her grandfather. I wasnt aware that he had bishops?

              > thanks,
              > June

              June
              Nicholas II of Russia (1868-1918)
              Tsar of Russia (1894-1917)

              Nicholas II, son of Czar Alexander III,
              as born in the year of 1868. As a child
              he was educated by Pobyedonostev, the
              lay head of the Russian Orthodox
              Church. In 1894, he took on the role of
              czar after his father's death. Nicholas II
              wanted to keep the same autocratic rule
              that his father had, and that was the
              basis of his reign as czar.

              If your g-GF had been a Russian Orthodox bishop there
              is about a 20 year period during which this could have
              happened.

              More important, he was a Bishop of what and where ?
              And Bishop of what Diocese then, not today ?
              Believe Russian Orthodox priests were given a choice of marriage
              or celibacy ?

              http://www.synod.com/

              Bishops and Dioceses

              http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/