Re: [S-R] Help with Janco research

  • Liza Janco
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
      That's possible. Twiany (or maybe Triany) was my best guess from the
      ship's manifest. Where is Turany?

      Liza

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
        hello Liza,
        Where did you find the village name of Twiany? did it tell you what country
        it is in? there is a website called
        <A HREF="www.calle.com">www.calle.com</A>
        in which you can use their World Index and find the country you are
        researching in and then look for the city. i looked in Slovakia, Czech republic,
        Hungary and Poland but could not find this village.
        perhaps you will come across it.
        are you sure of the spelling?
        Noreen

      • Michael Hamilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
          Liza,
          There were at least two possibilities in the Kingdom of Hungary:

          1.HUNG = Turany (SVK = Turany nad Ondavou)
          Zemplen Megye
          Sztropka Jaras

          2.HUNG = Turan (SVK = Turany)
          Turocz Megye
          Szentmarton- Blatnicza Jaras

          PS.There were also several villages by the name of Torony. On the Ship's manifest, the transcription of my grandmother's village was "Nejauhau" and turned out to be Bajanhaza (SVK = Bajany).

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
            What is the year of immigration? That will put it into the correct context
            John makes a good suggestion - more than one set of eyes can help clarify
            the spelling.

            Bill Tarkulich