Re: [S-R] Help with Janco research

  • Michael Hamilton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
      Liza,
      Could you be looking for "Turany"
      Mike H.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Liza Janco
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:55 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Help with Janco research

      I think I've discovered an ancestral village for my great-grandmother,
      but I'm having trouble locating it. Can anyone help me find Twiany?
      Thank you so much.
      Liza Janco

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Liza Janco
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
        That's possible. Twiany (or maybe Triany) was my best guess from the
        ship's manifest. Where is Turany?

        Liza

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
          hello Liza,
          Where did you find the village name of Twiany? did it tell you what country
          it is in? there is a website called
          <A HREF="www.calle.com">www.calle.com</A>
          in which you can use their World Index and find the country you are
          researching in and then look for the city. i looked in Slovakia, Czech republic,
          Hungary and Poland but could not find this village.
          perhaps you will come across it.
          are you sure of the spelling?
          Noreen

        • Michael Hamilton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
            Liza,
            There were at least two possibilities in the Kingdom of Hungary:

            1.HUNG = Turany (SVK = Turany nad Ondavou)
            Zemplen Megye
            Sztropka Jaras

            2.HUNG = Turan (SVK = Turany)
            Turocz Megye
            Szentmarton- Blatnicza Jaras

            PS.There were also several villages by the name of Torony. On the Ship's manifest, the transcription of my grandmother's village was "Nejauhau" and turned out to be Bajanhaza (SVK = Bajany).

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2003
              What is the year of immigration? That will put it into the correct context
              John makes a good suggestion - more than one set of eyes can help clarify
              the spelling.

              Bill Tarkulich