Re: DRAZKOV & VODNANY& PISEK

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bill panzner" <billyjp@t...>
      wrote:

      > Subject: DRAZKOV & VODNANY& PISEK
      >

      > DEAR LIST
      > would anyone have any information for these three towns. e-mail
      sites ,history,addresses,names,archives,etc
      > thanks in advance

      > billyjp@t...

      Dear Bill,

      Your three towns are now located in the Czech Republic and not in
      Slovakia.
      Vodn^any is located 66 miles south of Praha (Prague)
      Drazkov Wodnan (G) is located 61 miles east of Prague and south of
      Hradec-Kralove, CR.
      There are four towns called Pisek located in the CR.

      Actually, my American military unit had crossed from Germany into
      Czechoslovakia on 2 May 45 and we stopped at a Pisek
      when WW 2 in Europe was declared over on 8 May 45.
      The Russian troops entered Prague on 9 May 45.

      The LDS-Mormons never filmed the records in the Czech Republic,
      as they had in Slovakia, because the Czech Archives wanted to keep the
      business for themselves.
      You will need to write the relevant Czech State Archives to research
      your surnames and pay their fees.

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
      Monarchie,
      or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
      It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      What were some of your surnames ?
      There were German settlements in former Czech-Bohemia.
      Panzner can be a German surname from north of Berlin c. 1779.
    • bill panzner
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
        Subject: DRAZKOV & VODNANY& PISEK

        DEAR LIST
        would anyone have any information for these three towns. e-mail sites ,history,addresses,names,archives,etc
        thanks in advance
        bill
        billyjp@...

      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
          There is a Pisek in the Czech Republic. It is an ancient town which claims
          to have the oldest standing bridge in Europe..