Re: [S-R] Rusyn village life

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
      These photos are fantastic! Could you tell us approximately what year they
      were taken?

      Thanks.

      Kathi, Maryland

      In a message dated 11/7/2003 9:03:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      christophergajda@... writes:

      > I thought i would share some old pictures of my Rusyn ancestor's village
      > with the group. These are from the village Dravtsi just outside Uzhgorod, now
      > in the Zakarpatskaya oblast of western Ukraine.

    • christopher gajda
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
        These pictures were taken about 1923, and Dravtsi was part of Czechoslovakia.
        (it's interesting to note that these "dumb backward Hunkies" are using a tractor while at the same time many "superior more advanced American" farmers still plowed with mules and horses!) I don't know what my great-aunt(grandmother's sister) name was, but maiden name would have been Czeholnai (Slovak spelling).

        If anyone else out there has any old photos, I'd be interested in seeing them, too!
        Someone needs to collect and preserve them!

        kathiraisa@... wrote:
        These photos are fantastic! Could you tell us approximately what year they
        were taken?

        Thanks.

        Kathi, Maryland

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
          Wow, that house is really cool, thanks for sharing -- the farm photo could be Slovakian Gothic!

          Caye

          cnovotni@... wrote:
          What a treasure you have in these photos! thanks for sharing them with us.
          Carol

          > I thought i would share some old pictures of my Rusyn ancestor's village with the group. These are from the village Dravtsi just outside Uzhgorod, now in the Zakarpatskaya oblast of western Ukraine. Can be viewed here:
          >
          > http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7dtz0/dravtsiphoto/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Vera Holman
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
            How far would you say that scene from the town of Michalovce, SK? Do you
            know the date picture was taken? Very interesting.
            Thanks,
            Vera
            Thanks,

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • christopher gajda
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
              Michalovce is about 23 miles NE of Dravtsi. Pictures were taken about 1923.
              here is a link to rusyn folk architecture site also:
              http://carpatho-rusyn.org/uzh/

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2003
                I must be getting dyslexic - Michalovce is 23 mi NW of Dravtsi

                christopher gajda <christophergajda@...> wrote:Michalovce is about 23 miles NE of Dravtsi. Pictures were taken about 1923.
                here is a link to rusyn folk architecture site also:
                http://carpatho-rusyn.org/uzh/

                How far would you say that scene from the town of Michalovce, SK? Do you
                know the date picture was taken? Very interesting.
                Thanks,
                Vera
                Thanks,

                > Wow, that house is really cool, thanks for sharing -- the farm photo could
                be Slovakian Gothic!

                > Caye
                >

                > cnovotni@... wrote:
                > What a treasure you have in these photos! thanks for sharing them with us.
                > Carol
                >
                > > I thought i would share some old pictures of my Rusyn ancestor's village
                with the group. These are from the village Dravtsi just outside Uzhgorod,
                now in the Zakarpatskaya oblast of western Ukraine. Can be viewed here:

                > > http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7dtz0/dravtsiphoto/

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • R D Gale

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2003
                    If you want to read some more about life 60 to 100 years ago, read some of
                    this material:

                    http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf

                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/under/index.htm

                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm

                    other fine material is at
                    www.iarelative.com
                    http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/customs/

                    ______________
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                      Christopher,
                      thanks for the wonderful village photos. the LDS family history reels
                      usually take one back to about 1700's for Slovakia and Poland. It is wonderful to
                      view the homes as they were as far back as late 1700's. Where did you ever
                      find such treasures as these?
                      Noreen