Re: Barca RC Church

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
      wrote:
      > >What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church
      records
      > until 1896. Later B/M/D records would be more >easily located by
      > writing to the civil/registry office for Barca.
      >
      > >Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
      > impression by writing in English. Outside of large >cities, English
      is
      > not much known or practiced. You can find fluent Slovak writers who
      > would be more than happy to >assist on the Slovak-World forum at
      > yahoogroups.com.
      >

      > The marriage record would be from 1921, and baptismal records from
      1922
      > and 1927.
      >
      > Is there anyone in particular that you could put me in contact with
      > regarding translating a letter?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Gary

      Gary,

      And on that note I have your own surname as a query for you.

      There were two Carpatho-Rusyn villages near Bardejov.
      Krivé (Sk) Kryve (Rus) Sárosgörbény (H) located 6 miles west of
      Bardejov.
      Kríz^e (Sk) Krizy (Rus) Kiskereszt (H) located 6.5 miles WSW of
      Bardejov.

      It should be interesting what spelling you find for surnames
      'Costel' in the church records ?
      For example, kostol means church in Slovak.

      More Slavic surnames begin with the letter K than any other letter
      of the alphabet.
      Romance languages like French, Italian, Spanish would convert the
      letter K to a C.
      The Romance language surname spelling would be Costel(le)
      Some emigrants changed names after they had settled in the US.

      Leisenring No. 1 was a 'coal patch town'.
      Expect the surname Costel in the Connellsville (Fayette and
      Westmoreland CO PA) coal mining region of SW PA was of Slavic origin,
      but what was its original spelling ?
      Or had it been transliterated from the Cyrillic alphabet to English ?
      K A C T E J|

      Frank K
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
        Noreen,
        I'm glad you've found it useful. I am slowly moving all of my knowledge
        to these web pages, so it will be available for all to see, not just
        mail list users. Hopefully it will empower new researchers with a
        strategy and tools to move their forward. I sometimes find that
        discussion groups are a hit-or-miss proposition; You have to be there at
        the right time or ask the right question. Many of us, myself included
        have a difficult time getting started and then locating the appropriate
        resources. It's my hope that these pages will perhaps reduce some of
        these pains.

        Thanks for your comments.
        Bill Tarkulich