RE: Barca RC Church

  • Gary Costel
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
      >What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church records
      until 1896. Later B/M/D records would be more >easily located by
      writing to the civil/registry office for Barca.

      >Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
      impression by writing in English. Outside of large >cities, English is
      not much known or practiced. You can find fluent Slovak writers who
      would be more than happy to >assist on the Slovak-World forum at
      yahoogroups.com.

      The marriage record would be from 1921, and baptismal records from 1922
      and 1927.

      Is there anyone in particular that you could put me in contact with
      regarding translating a letter?

      Thanks,
      Gary

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
        Gary,

        Clearly you want to write to the village offices. This is probably the only
        place that will have the info you want. Make certain when you write that
        you demonstrate evidence that you are related (copies of birth & marriage
        documents are best). I've written a bit on how to write the letter and
        posted it on a web page here
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

        My suggestion is to post a request over at the slovak-roots forum found at
        www.yahoogroups.com (join the forum to post). Quite often there are people
        who are willing to translate a one page letter for free. If not, write me
        privately and I can suggest some individuals who will do it for a small fee.

        Good Luck!
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
          > <A HREF="http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm">http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm</A>

          Bill,
          this site is wonderful. The correspondence section is very helpful, along
          with the section on obtaining the names of the different mayors and I especially
          like the part with the finely detailed maps.
          thanks.
          Noreen

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
            wrote:
            > >What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church
            records
            > until 1896. Later B/M/D records would be more >easily located by
            > writing to the civil/registry office for Barca.
            >
            > >Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
            > impression by writing in English. Outside of large >cities, English
            is
            > not much known or practiced. You can find fluent Slovak writers who
            > would be more than happy to >assist on the Slovak-World forum at
            > yahoogroups.com.
            >

            > The marriage record would be from 1921, and baptismal records from
            1922
            > and 1927.
            >
            > Is there anyone in particular that you could put me in contact with
            > regarding translating a letter?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Gary

            Gary,

            And on that note I have your own surname as a query for you.

            There were two Carpatho-Rusyn villages near Bardejov.
            Krivé (Sk) Kryve (Rus) Sárosgörbény (H) located 6 miles west of
            Bardejov.
            Kríz^e (Sk) Krizy (Rus) Kiskereszt (H) located 6.5 miles WSW of
            Bardejov.

            It should be interesting what spelling you find for surnames
            'Costel' in the church records ?
            For example, kostol means church in Slovak.

            More Slavic surnames begin with the letter K than any other letter
            of the alphabet.
            Romance languages like French, Italian, Spanish would convert the
            letter K to a C.
            The Romance language surname spelling would be Costel(le)
            Some emigrants changed names after they had settled in the US.

            Leisenring No. 1 was a 'coal patch town'.
            Expect the surname Costel in the Connellsville (Fayette and
            Westmoreland CO PA) coal mining region of SW PA was of Slavic origin,
            but what was its original spelling ?
            Or had it been transliterated from the Cyrillic alphabet to English ?
            K A C T E J|

            Frank K
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
              Noreen,
              I'm glad you've found it useful. I am slowly moving all of my knowledge
              to these web pages, so it will be available for all to see, not just
              mail list users. Hopefully it will empower new researchers with a
              strategy and tools to move their forward. I sometimes find that
              discussion groups are a hit-or-miss proposition; You have to be there at
              the right time or ask the right question. Many of us, myself included
              have a difficult time getting started and then locating the appropriate
              resources. It's my hope that these pages will perhaps reduce some of
              these pains.

              Thanks for your comments.
              Bill Tarkulich

              > absi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm</A>

              Bill,
              this site is wonderful. The correspondence section is very helpful,
              along
              with the section on obtaining the names of the different mayors and I
              especially
              like the part with the finely detailed maps.
              thanks.
              Noreen

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/