Barca RC Church

  • Gary Costel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      I am looking for the name and address of the Roman Catholic Church in
      Barca.

      I would like to know that if I sent a letter to the Church requesting
      information on my grandparent's marriage, and baptismal records for 2 of
      their children, would I have any luck in getting a response? Problem is
      that I do not know Slovak, so my letter would be written in English.

      Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      -Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
        What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church records until
        1896. Later B/M/D records would be more easily located by writing to the
        civil/registry office fo Barca.

        Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
        impression by writing in English. Outside of large cities, English is not
        much known or practiced. You can find fluent slovak writers who would be
        more than happy to assist on the Slovak-World forum at yahoogroups.com.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        I am looking for the name and address of the Roman Catholic Church in Barca.

        I would like to know that if I sent a letter to the Church requesting
        information on my grandparent's marriage, and baptismal records for 2 of
        their children, would I have any luck in getting a response? Problem is
        that I do not know Slovak, so my letter would be written in English.

        Any suggestions would be appreciated.

        -Gary

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
          At 10:02 PM 10/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >I am looking for the name and address of the Roman Catholic Church in
          >Barca.

          Košice - Barca
          Abovská 20
          040 17 Košice
          Slovak Republic
          tel./fax: 055 6855398

          John
        • Gary Costel
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
            >What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church records
            until 1896. Later B/M/D records would be more >easily located by
            writing to the civil/registry office for Barca.

            >Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
            impression by writing in English. Outside of large >cities, English is
            not much known or practiced. You can find fluent Slovak writers who
            would be more than happy to >assist on the Slovak-World forum at
            yahoogroups.com.

            The marriage record would be from 1921, and baptismal records from 1922
            and 1927.

            Is there anyone in particular that you could put me in contact with
            regarding translating a letter?

            Thanks,
            Gary

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
              Gary,

              Clearly you want to write to the village offices. This is probably the only
              place that will have the info you want. Make certain when you write that
              you demonstrate evidence that you are related (copies of birth & marriage
              documents are best). I've written a bit on how to write the letter and
              posted it on a web page here
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

              My suggestion is to post a request over at the slovak-roots forum found at
              www.yahoogroups.com (join the forum to post). Quite often there are people
              who are willing to translate a one page letter for free. If not, write me
              privately and I can suggest some individuals who will do it for a small fee.

              Good Luck!
              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                > <A HREF="http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm">http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm</A>

                Bill,
                this site is wonderful. The correspondence section is very helpful, along
                with the section on obtaining the names of the different mayors and I especially
                like the part with the finely detailed maps.
                thanks.
                Noreen

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > >What year did each ceremony occur? Mormons have filmed church
                  records
                  > until 1896. Later B/M/D records would be more >easily located by
                  > writing to the civil/registry office for Barca.
                  >
                  > >Writing in Slovak is of critical importance. Don't blow your first
                  > impression by writing in English. Outside of large >cities, English
                  is
                  > not much known or practiced. You can find fluent Slovak writers who
                  > would be more than happy to >assist on the Slovak-World forum at
                  > yahoogroups.com.
                  >

                  > The marriage record would be from 1921, and baptismal records from
                  1922
                  > and 1927.
                  >
                  > Is there anyone in particular that you could put me in contact with
                  > regarding translating a letter?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Gary

                  Gary,

                  And on that note I have your own surname as a query for you.

                  There were two Carpatho-Rusyn villages near Bardejov.
                  Krivé (Sk) Kryve (Rus) Sárosgörbény (H) located 6 miles west of
                  Bardejov.
                  Kríz^e (Sk) Krizy (Rus) Kiskereszt (H) located 6.5 miles WSW of
                  Bardejov.

                  It should be interesting what spelling you find for surnames
                  'Costel' in the church records ?
                  For example, kostol means church in Slovak.

                  More Slavic surnames begin with the letter K than any other letter
                  of the alphabet.
                  Romance languages like French, Italian, Spanish would convert the
                  letter K to a C.
                  The Romance language surname spelling would be Costel(le)
                  Some emigrants changed names after they had settled in the US.

                  Leisenring No. 1 was a 'coal patch town'.
                  Expect the surname Costel in the Connellsville (Fayette and
                  Westmoreland CO PA) coal mining region of SW PA was of Slavic origin,
                  but what was its original spelling ?
                  Or had it been transliterated from the Cyrillic alphabet to English ?
                  K A C T E J|

                  Frank K
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 17, 2003
                    Noreen,
                    I'm glad you've found it useful. I am slowly moving all of my knowledge
                    to these web pages, so it will be available for all to see, not just
                    mail list users. Hopefully it will empower new researchers with a
                    strategy and tools to move their forward. I sometimes find that
                    discussion groups are a hit-or-miss proposition; You have to be there at
                    the right time or ask the right question. Many of us, myself included
                    have a difficult time getting started and then locating the appropriate
                    resources. It's my hope that these pages will perhaps reduce some of
                    these pains.

                    Thanks for your comments.
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    > absi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm</A>

                    Bill,
                    this site is wonderful. The correspondence section is very helpful,
                    along
                    with the section on obtaining the names of the different mayors and I
                    especially
                    like the part with the finely detailed maps.
                    thanks.
                    Noreen

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/