occupations

  • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi all,
      Today I got my first look at some Solivar (Soovar) films. I did find
      members of both sides of my MIL's family in there, so I'm happy. Now I need
      to find a source for occupation translations. Is there anything on the web
      that cross-references Hungarian and English occupation names?
      Meanwhile the ones I have found are "telkes" (very common, probably find
      out it means farmer or peasant) and something hard to read, but looks like
      either "massrsiamos" or "masscsiamos". If anyone can tell me what these
      mean, I would much appreciate it.
      Thanks,
      Robin Hannig
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
        > Is there anything on the web
        > that cross-references Hungarian and English occupation names?

        Hi Robin! You can try:
        http://yoda.bmi.net/jjaso/Hungarian_Terms_and_Phrases.html

        Joe Armata
        joe@...
      • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
          In a message dated 01/04/2000 4:38:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          RAHannig00@... writes:

          > Meanwhile the ones I have found are "telkes" (very common, probably find
          > out it means farmer or peasant) and something hard to read, but looks like
          > either "massrsiamos" or "masscsiamos". If anyone can tell me what these
          > mean, I would much appreciate it.
          > Thanks,
          > Robin Hannig
          Robin, try looking on this website they have both Hungarian & Latin
          translations for common words used in Church Records...........Print them
          out...make a great reference....... <A HREF="http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/">index.
          html</A> http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/
          Cathy