Re: SS5 question

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Johnson <mhmj1117@y...>
      wrote:
      > I sent for my father's SS5 ( I knew his number so it was enclosed)
      on 9 September, my check was cashed on 23 September. As of today have
      not received the information, does anyone know how long it takes, or
      should I send a folo-up letter? Thanks, Mary

      You should have gone to online Social Security Death Index Search.

      http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

      Entered surname and located his name.
      Clicked on SSDI Letter (blue) at right side.
      Printed out form letter requesting copy of S-5 application.
      Enclosed fee of $27 or $ 29 if you didn't know surname SS #.
      Mailed letter.
      Waited.

      Your government tax dollars at work.
      A short time ago the fee was only $ 6.

      Supposedly the copy of SS application form S-5 will list surname's
      village/town of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.
      But not always because the person furnishes this information and may
      not know.

      Frank K