Re: [S-R] SZUSZKO

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
      wrote:
      > Good catch. I'll defer to Frank's reasoning. It's more plausible.
      >
      > ______________
      > Bill Tarkulich

      Bill,

      I have a candidate to offer for Twisfara/Tevischvalva which have been
      be a corrupted German spelling.

      Its Hungarian name was U'jtövisfalva and this village was located just
      west of Svaljava (former Hungarian Szolyva district) now located in
      the Ukraine.
      I don't know its current name ?

      Karpatho-Ukraine was occupied by the Red Army and annexed in 1945 to
      the Soviet Union and it has been part of the independent Republic
      Ukraine since 1991.
      Karpatendeutsche (Carpathian Germans) had settled in the
      Munkács/Munkacz (H) Mukac^evo (Sk) Munkatsch (G) area of the former
      Bereg megye.
      In 1945, the local Germans, a small and inoffensive ethnic group,
      suffered genocide. Many were killed in death camps such as Svaljava,
      or taken as slave labor to Siberia.
      Mukac^evo itself is located just 14 miles distant from Szolyva
      (Svalyava)now inthe Ukraine.

      Helena Strauss was baptised in 1891 in Neudorf which I had written
      was the German name for Spis^ska' Nova' Ves because I had expected
      Slovakia. Now not so sure.
      Perhaps there was another Neudorf located near Szuszko'u'jfalu in
      Bereg megye.

      Sokut,
      > Sol'a
      > > and Sol.
      > > http://mapy.atlas.sk/ about 20 KM SE of PRESOV, just NW of VRANOV
      > NAD
      > > TOPLOU
      > > The Mormon's have the neighboring church records, I suspect the
      > records
      > > were consolidated into a neighboring church.
      > >
      > > "falu" means "village"
      > > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/common_place_name_terminology.htm
      > > So you are probably right on with the village name. Many
      > transliterations
      > > dropped the "z" from "sz" Magyar words entirely. ______________
      > > Bill Tarkulich
      > >
      > Marcia,
      >
      > I have to disagree with Bill Tarkulich's location for Szolyva as
      being
      > in eastern Slovakia.
      > Same place name spellings can be different in different languages.
      You are
      > looking for Magyar place names listed in ship manifests which have
      changed
      > over time to Ukrainian place names and for 3-4 villages
      > located close to one another.
      >
      > Your Suszko was Szuszkó formerly located in Bereg megye, Hungary and
      > now located in the Ukraine.
      > Actually is was called Szuszkóújfalu, (Szuszkó + new + village) and
      > this is where your G GM was born.
      >
      > Your Szolysa was Szolyva, another place formerly located in Bereg
      > megye, Hungary and now located in the Ukraine where your G GF was
      > born.
      > So your G GF's Last Residence, and Szolyva and Szuszkó must have all
      > been located close to one another.
      >
      > Szuszkóújfalu (H) is now called Siniak/Sinyak C |/| H R K
      (Cyrillic) and
      > located in the Zakarpats'ka (oblast) region of the Ukraine. Sinyak
      is
      > located 6 miles distant from Szolyva now called Svalyava
      > C B A J| R B A (Cyrillic)
      >
      > These place are probably located 30 miles from the current Slovakia
      > border as the crow flies.
      >
      > If I am correct getting their church records will be very difficult
      > and costly and you will need to hire a commercial service who does
      this in
      > the Ukraine.
      >
      > Frank K

      Island