Sena & Kosice village history/info

  • ROZ K ERHARDT
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003
      Dear Bill,
      Do you have that same history/info for Sena, Slovakia and
      Kosice,Slovakia, as well.
      Thank you, Rozalia
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003
        Sena
        1773 Szina, Senya
        1786 Sina
        1808 Szina, Sena,
        1863-1882, 1892-1902 Szina
        1888, 1907-1913, 1938-1945 Abaujszina,
        1920 Sena
        1927-1938, 1945-1948 Sena, Szina
        1948+ Sena

        1910 Abaujszina, pop 1528, 1400 Magyar, 104 Slovak, 911 Roman Catholic, 222
        Greek Catholic, 231 Reformed

        Kosice
        1773 Cassovia, Kassa, Kaschau, Kossicze
        1786 Kaschau, Cassovia, Kascha, Kossice
        1808 Cassovia, Kassa, Kaschau, Kossice
        1863-1913, 1938-1945 Kassa
        1920-1938, 1945+ Kosice

        1910 Kassa - pop 44,311, 33,350 Magyar, 3,189 German, 6,547 Slovak;
        27,863 Roman Catholic, 3,591 reformed, 6,723 Jewish

        Hope this helps,
        Bill

        Both settlements were annexed to Hungary during WW2.
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Do you have that same history/info for Sena, Slovakia and
        Kosice,Slovakia, as well. Thank you, Rozalia

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
      • ROZ K ERHARDT
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2003
          Bill, Thank you SO much for the cool population and ethnicity of both
          places.
          I am confused I thought that Kassa and Szina were in Hungary for hundreds
          of years before WW II, and why therefore would they need to be annexed
          during WWII ?
          Thank you so much for sharing your insight with us, Rozalia
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2003
            OK, class, pay attention now.....There will be a quiz.....

            Here's the deal.
            Your villages were part of Hungary since about year 1000 until the end
            of WWI, when Hungary was BUSTED UP (See the cool map at
            http://parizs.tripod.com/trianon/trianonterkep.html )
            In 1918 Czechoslovakia was formed from what had been called "Upper
            Hungary", so this is where your villages went.
            In 1938 Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia and broke it up as follows: took
            the Czech lands/Bohemia/Moravia (so-called "Sudetenland") for
            himself(Germany), gave the carpatho-Ukraine lands (present-day West
            Ukraine), lands east of Snina (NOT to be confused with SZINA) and
            southern fringe lands of Czechoslovakia (Hungarian majority) to Hungary
            and created a new country "Slovakia", a Nazi Puppet-state. Well, Kassa
            and Szina were in those southern fringe lands that Hungary annexed.
            Hungary had been belly-aching for years during the inter-war period that
            areas of majority Magyar (Hungarian) population rightfully belonged to
            Hungary. Hitler didn't really care, so he let them take some slices
            here and there.

            For now, this map
            http://www.humboldt.edu/~rescuers/book/Chlup/chlupgif/czechmap2.html
            showing the partitions isn't too bad, but I just shows the first stage
            of the process.

            Hungary kept everything it annexed to the end of WWII when they
            reformulated Czechoslovakia with the exception of the Ukraine piece. So
            Kassa and Szina were in Hungary during WWII.

            It's a somewhat obscure piece of knowledge, only glancingly referred to
            in WWII books, but essential for you to know in your research. If you
            had family living in these villages during WWII, they were undoubtedly
            conscripted into the Hungarian Army.

            Since we were too busy flirting with the opposite sex during history
            class in high school, I've written the whole story in Cliff Notes
            fashion, here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/history.htm You really
            need to understand this bit of history, if you want to be successful in
            your search. Someday I'll scan in a map showing how Hitler partitioned
            Czechoslovakia. Knowing who owned what when is critical to knowing
            where to look for documents and what to look for.

            Bill

            Bill, Thank you SO much for the cool population and ethnicity of both
            places. I am confused I thought that Kassa and Szina were in Hungary for
            hundreds of years before WW II, and why therefore would they need to be
            annexed during WWII ? Thank you so much for sharing your insight with
            us, Rozalia

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 25, 2003
              You wanted church names:
              Sena - church name - Sts. Peter and Paul, Roman Catholic, established 1869

              Kosice has a dozen RC churches. You'd need to specify where in Kosice and
              even then we'd be guessing
              Košice - Dóm sv. Alžbety
              Košice - Barca
              Košice - Furča