Re: Scribbles

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2000
      Well, your guess is as good as mine, and probably a lot better! But it is
      not a capital K. Nonetheless, I think logically that there is no need to
      scribble in information about people that is preseved in the same records,
      so if this person died in Kassa it would make some sense. After all, the
      city was a mere 5-10 miles away, and today there are a couple of dozen
      people with my own surname there. I will bet that a lot of people drifted
      off to the cities from the small towns and villages, especially renters,
      after the abolition of serfdom in 1781. It certainly is the case that some
      people just disappear from the records, decades before we can presume that
      they immigrated to America.

      Has anyone you know seen the records from Kos~ice? It might make sense to
      search certain years...
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
        I don't know anyone off hand who's searched Kosice records, but that
        entire region seems to be well filmed, so I'd check the FHC catalog
        under all 3 names. Heaven only knows how it's listed!

        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching