Re: [S-R] Re: Koliva Tips and/or Tricks Anyone?

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2003
      Frank, My dad used to refer to that speak as The King's English -- I believe folks have been emulating the voices they hear on the BBC radio (and before that maybe Radio Free Europe) for decades -- and university professors would have been no exception. That part of town does attract the intellectuals -- and has some very cool architecture as well.

      Come on back for a visit -- you'd be impressed.

      Caye

      Frank <frankur@...> wrote:
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
      wrote:
      > You lived near the hospital and university -- Hyde Park -- nice area

      Caye,
      You are so correct.
      And when I used to ride in the elevators the immigrants who lived
      there spoke better English than I did, eventhough I was the one who
      had born in the USA.
      Actually what they spoke was usually 'British' English.
      Even used to transliterate American Church G.C. and Orthodox records
      to English for surname researchers.
      For some reason the churches didn't want to.
      Now can no longer even remember the Greek alphabet.

      -- Let me check on the OCA parishes -- but 8 sounds about correct -- a
      few more than 8 --
      http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/list_results.asp?location=IL&B1=Sub
      mit, that's all the OCA parishes in Illinois -- some are downstate,
      but 15 are what I'd call "Chicagoland" area. There are other Orthodox
      churches as well, but they aren't part of the OCA, Orthodox Church in
      America. My Koliva came out good -- even the Greek parishioners said
      so.

      > Caye
      >

      > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Yes, Frank, it's Orthodox -- Koliva is the Greek Memorial wheat
      > recipe; Kutia is the Russian/Ukrainian version (poppyseed and honey)
      > -- and there is a Coptic equivalent as well, although I didn't ask
      the
      > name or ingredients. My parish is OCA -- and is made up of Greeks,
      > Russians, Coptics, Ukrainians, Romainians and a smattering of other
      > Slavic nationalities -- quite a nice mixture of parishioners -- and
      > very tiny for such a huge city, Chicago, I'd say maybe 75 families
      are
      > in regular attendance.
      > >
      > > Caye
      >
      > I lived in Chicago (1962-1968) on E. 55th St near the Chicago Museum
      > of Science and Industry, but did explore ethnic neighborhoods.
      >
      > There are what ? eight local OCA parishes located in Chicago.

      http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:N-VRZF4QC14J:www.newadvent.org/ca

      then/06772a.htm+alphabet+used+in+Greek+Orthodox+churches&hl=en&ie=UTF-
      > 8
      >
      > Are you familiar with the Newberry Library ?
      > Spent a great deal of time doing research there.
      >
      > http://www.newberry.org/nl/newberryhome.html
      >
      > Koliva

      http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:dmHdAPGrkXIJ:www.goarch.org/en/ar

      chdiocese/departments/youth/youthworkers/sessions/goya_koliva.asp+Koli