Re: [S-R] Uprising, Murder and politics

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
      In a message dated 10/12/2003 5:55:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      nhasior@... writes:

      > Karpatendeutsch,
      >
      > Vladimir,
      > what exactly is the term "Karpatendeutsch" to mean. i know that it
      > describes an ethnic people, does it also describe a particular area in
      > Slovakia?
      > Would Karpatendeutsch be considered around the Kezmarok area? I remember
      > studying this awhile back and decided that it was a reference to a group of
      > people.
      > where did they reside?
      > thank you.
      > Noreen

      Dear Noreen, the term Karpatendeutsch refers to that group of Palatians and
      Saxons imported by the indigenous nobility (Hungarian!) to settle and defend
      the areas now known as Spis and Saros, as well as some others. It is an
      etthnic group, and fairly homogenous. They formed a league of cities, of which the
      current Levoca (Leutschau) was the capital. A good deal of the medieval
      flourishings (art, painting, sculpture etc) can be attributed to members of this
      group. (example, Master Paul of Levoca = NOT a Slovak).

      Similar groups exist in other parts of Eastern and Central Europe, including
      a minimum of four other Germanic groups in Slovakia. This one was the
      largest.

      Vladimir Saemmler Hindrichs
      Director of Operations
      ALS, Inc
      1-540-592-7215
      Fax: 1-703-832-0692

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 10/12/03 5:23:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > antiquariu@a... writes:
        >
        > > Karpatendeutsch,
        >
        > Vladimir,
        > what exactly is the term "Karpatendeutsch" to mean. i know that
        it
        > describes an ethnic people, does it also describe a particular area
        in Slovakia?
        > Would Karpatendeutsch be considered around the Kezmarok area? I
        remember
        > studying this awhile back and decided that it was a reference to a
        group of people.
        > where did they reside?
        > thank you.
        > Noreen