Re: [S-R] Karpatendeutsche

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2003
      Carpathian Germans, or Karpatendeutsche, is a general term for the ethnic German population of Slovakia. It is fairly new as a term (so 1900) as before, the Germans living in the Pressburg/Bratislava area, in the Hauerland (Kremnitz/Kremnica) and the Zips saw themselves first as members of their German-settled regions (esp. the Zipser Sachsen, who had autonomy), and then as part of the wider German-Hungarian group.

      More details in English on my Carpathian German webpage at http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/

      Thomas (through my mother a Carpathian German)