[S-R] Re: Open letter to Jim Downs

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
      wrote:
      > You might note that the partisans had executed several thousand
      Carpathian
      > Germans (about 2000, incl. women), plus Slovaks as well. This does
      not
      > excuse the rather indiscriminate vengeance taken by German and
      SLOVAK units
      > after the uprising, but one needs to know that the uprisers had
      committed
      > atrocities before that.
      >
      > Thomas Reimer

      Dr. Reimer,
      (Believe that is correct)

      The Carpathian Germans were a small group of Germans living in the
      territory of today's Slovakia from the 12th century to 1945,
      who suffered 'genocide'.

      This was not an atrocity performed by the Slovak people, but the work
      of Czech Communists like Eduard Benes on orders of Uncle Joe Stalin.
      Just like the euphemistic 'odsun' (transfer) and 'ethnic cleansing'
      of Germans in post-WW II Czechoslovakia.

      Just like the killing by the Communist Yugoslav secret police of the
      pro-German Croatian Army (including their women and children) which
      had surrendered to the British forces in Bleiburg, Austria in 1945.

      Just like the expulsion and execution of the Donauschwaben in
      Yugoslavia by the same Communists under Marshal Tito after WW II.

      For political reasons the British and Americans had acquiesced to
      all these events.

      In 1948, the Communists took control of the Czechoslovakia government
      due again to the politicians.
      The Czechs had voted 2 to 1 for Communism and the Slovaks voted
      2 to 1 for Democracy . Since there were more Czechs, the Communists
      won the elections and the country got 45 years of Communist rule until
      the "velvet revolution" in 1993.

      I fought in the US Army in Europe during WW II.
      My military unit had crossed the Czechoslovakia border on 2 May 45.
      WW II was over in Europe on 8 May 45.
      After the Praha Uprising, the Soviet Army entered the city on 9 May
      45.
      I still had to fight against the NKs and Chinese Communists in Korea
      (1950-1952)

      Frank K

      Social
      > Democratic party, the Communist
      > party, estranged Slovak nationalists, and a army officers. In late
      > December 1943 these groups, except
      > for the officers, set up the Slovenska Narodna Rada (Slovak National
      > Council; SNR). The primary aim of
      > the uprising was to oust the Hlinkova Slovenska Ludova Strana
      (Slovak
      > People's Party of Hlinka; HSLS)
      > from power and free the state from its dependence on Nazi Germany.
      Not
      > all the participants shared the
      > same long - term goal. Members of the Czechoslovak Communist party
      and
      > the bourgeois "Flora" group
      > (which formed around a well - known Slovak politician, Dr. Vavro
      > Srobar), aspired to a united
      > Czechoslovakia. The Slovak faction of the Communist party advocated
      > that Slovakia become a Soviet
      > republic. Whereas the Agrarian party wanted to see the emergence of
      > united Czechoslovak republic,
      > but with a good deal of Slovak autonomy.
      >
      > The uprising was supposed to coincide with an advance by the
      > against the rebels on three
      > sides and Soviet army. But in the spring of 1944, partisan activity,
      > especially under Soviet command,
      > was intense. To forestall further partisan gains, on August 28 - 29
      > the Germans invaded Slovakia and the
      > uprising began. The rebels made significant gains in the early
      > fighting. In the area they liberated, a
      > Czechoslovak Republic was declared.
      >
      > The Germans hoped to suppress the uprising quickly, but the
      opposition
      > proved strong. Late in
      > September, SS - Obergruppenfuhrer Gottlob Berger, the chief
      commander
      > of the German forces, was
      > replaced by the Hoherer SS. - und Polizeifuhrer (Higher SS and
      Police
      > Leader) SS - Obergruppenfuhrer
      > Hermann Hofle. Within a few weeks, Hofle crushed the rebellion.
      Banska

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/