Koliva Tips and/or Tricks Anyone?

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
      Hi all, I'm making Koliva for the first time for a memorial service at my church tomorrow. My recipe calls for:

      whole wheat, swieback, walnuts, pomegranate seeds, parsley, sugar, cinnamon, clove, raising and sesame seeds.

      I'm decorating with raw and Jordan almonds (no powdered sugar).

      Any tips and/or tricks from those of you with Koliva experience certainly would be appreciated. Wondering if a crock pot is possible and/or the microwave -- the wheat is soaking right now -- and I realize the drying process is also key -- but I'd certainly benefit from other experience. Thanks!

      Caye

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all, I'm making Koliva for the first time for a memorial service
        at my church tomorrow. My recipe calls for:

        > whole wheat, swieback, walnuts, pomegranate seeds, parsley, sugar,
        cinnamon, clove, raising and sesame seeds.

        > I'm decorating with raw and Jordan almonds (no powdered sugar).
        >
        > Any tips and/or tricks from those of you with Koliva experience
        certainly would be appreciated. Wondering if a crock pot is possible
        and/or the microwave -- the wheat is soaking right now -- and I
        realize the drying process is also key -- but I'd certainly benefit
        from other experience. Thanks!

        > Caye

        Caye,

        No experience, but isn't that an Orthodox Church custom ?

        Recipe for Koliva

        http://www.theologic.com/oflweb/inhome/koliva.htm

        Frank K

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2003
          Yes, Frank, it's Orthodox -- Koliva is the Greek Memorial wheat recipe; Kutia is the Russian/Ukrainian version (poppyseed and honey) -- and there is a Coptic equivalent as well, although I didn't ask the name or ingredients. My parish is OCA -- and is made up of Greeks, Russians, Coptics, Ukrainians, Romainians and a smattering of other Slavic nationalities -- quite a nice mixture of parishioners -- and very tiny for such a huge city, Chicago, I'd say maybe 75 families are in regular attendance.

          Caye

          wrote:
          > Hi all, I'm making Koliva for the first time for a memorial service
          at my church tomorrow. My recipe calls for:

          > whole wheat, swieback, walnuts, pomegranate seeds, parsley, sugar,
          cinnamon, clove, raising and sesame seeds.

          > I'm decorating with raw and Jordan almonds (no powdered sugar).
          >
          > Any tips and/or tricks from those of you with Koliva experience
          certainly would be appreciated. Wondering if a crock pot is possible
          and/or the microwave -- the wheat is soaking right now -- and I
          realize the drying process is also key -- but I'd certainly benefit
          from other experience. Thanks!

          > Caye

          Caye,

          No experience, but isn't that an Orthodox Church custom ?

          Recipe for Koliva

          http://www.theologic.com/oflweb/inhome/koliva.htm

          Frank K

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2003
            wrote:
            > Yes, Frank, it's Orthodox -- Koliva is the Greek Memorial wheat
            recipe; Kutia is the Russian/Ukrainian version (poppyseed and honey)
            -- and there is a Coptic equivalent as well, although I didn't ask the
            name or ingredients. My parish is OCA -- and is made up of Greeks,
            Russians, Coptics, Ukrainians, Romainians and a smattering of other
            Slavic nationalities -- quite a nice mixture of parishioners -- and
            very tiny for such a huge city, Chicago, I'd say maybe 75 families are
            in regular attendance.

            > Caye

            I lived in Chicago (1962-1968) on E. 55th St near the Chicago Museum
            of Science and Industry, but did explore ethnic neighborhoods.

            There are what ? eight local OCA parishes located in Chicago.

            http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:N-VRZF4QC14J:www.newadvent.org/ca
            then/06772a.htm+alphabet+used+in+Greek+Orthodox+churches&hl=en&ie=UTF-
            8

            Are you familiar with the Newberry Library ?
            Spent a great deal of time doing research there.

            http://www.newberry.org/nl/newberryhome.html

            Koliva

            http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:dmHdAPGrkXIJ:www.goarch.org/en/ar
            chdiocese/departments/youth/youthworkers/sessions/goya_koliva.asp+Koli
            va&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

            Frank K
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2003
              You lived near the hospital and university -- Hyde Park -- nice area -- Let me check on the OCA parishes -- but 8 sounds about correct -- a few more than 8 -- http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/list_results.asp?location=IL&B1=Submit, that's all the OCA parishes in Illinois -- some are downstate, but 15 are what I'd call "Chicagoland" area. There are other Orthodox churches as well, but they aren't part of the OCA, Orthodox Church in America. My Koliva came out good -- even the Greek parishioners said so.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 14, 2003
                wrote:
                > You lived near the hospital and university -- Hyde Park -- nice area

                Caye,
                You are so correct.
                And when I used to ride in the elevators the immigrants who lived
                there spoke better English than I did, eventhough I was the one who
                had born in the USA.
                Actually what they spoke was usually 'British' English.
                Even used to transliterate American Church G.C. and Orthodox records
                to English for surname researchers.
                For some reason the churches didn't want to.
                Now can no longer even remember the Greek alphabet.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2003
                  Frank, My dad used to refer to that speak as The King's English -- I believe folks have been emulating the voices they hear on the BBC radio (and before that maybe Radio Free Europe) for decades -- and university professors would have been no exception. That part of town does attract the intellectuals -- and has some very cool architecture as well.

                  Come on back for a visit -- you'd be impressed.

                  Caye