Re: [S-R] Re: Open letter to Jim Downs

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2003
      You might note that the partisans had executed several thousand Carpathian
      Germans (about 2000, incl. women), plus Slovaks as well. This does not
      excuse the rather indiscriminate vengeance taken by German and SLOVAK units
      after the uprising, but one needs to know that the uprisers had committed
      atrocities before that.

      Thomas Reimer

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
        Thomas,

        Thanks for your comment and I acknowledge your report on the the execution of the Carpathian Germans and Slovaks.

        As many have said "War is hell" and atrocities are synomous with war, and human reactions to threats of others

        How can one forget the atrocities that occurred during the rape of Nanking by the Japanese, the genocide of the Jews in Europe, Joe Stalin's annihillation of 20 million of his own people, Pol Pot's slaughter of the Cambodians, and the massacre at My Lai by American troops in Vietnam.

        There are many more examples of atrocities throughout the years and are not representative of civilized behavior.

        Gil Kubancsek

        Thomas Reimer <treimer@...> wrote:
        You might note that the partisans had executed several thousand Carpathian
        Germans (about 2000, incl. women), plus Slovaks as well. This does not
        excuse the rather indiscriminate vengeance taken by German and SLOVAK units
        after the uprising, but one needs to know that the uprisers had committed
        atrocities before that.

        Thomas Reimer

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Reimer" <treimer@n...>
          wrote:
          > You might note that the partisans had executed several thousand
          Carpathian
          > Germans (about 2000, incl. women), plus Slovaks as well. This does
          not
          > excuse the rather indiscriminate vengeance taken by German and
          SLOVAK units
          > after the uprising, but one needs to know that the uprisers had
          committed
          > atrocities before that.
          >
          > Thomas Reimer

          Dr. Reimer,
          (Believe that is correct)

          The Carpathian Germans were a small group of Germans living in the
          territory of today's Slovakia from the 12th century to 1945,
          who suffered 'genocide'.

          This was not an atrocity performed by the Slovak people, but the work
          of Czech Communists like Eduard Benes on orders of Uncle Joe Stalin.
          Just like the euphemistic 'odsun' (transfer) and 'ethnic cleansing'
          of Germans in post-WW II Czechoslovakia.

          Just like the killing by the Communist Yugoslav secret police of the
          pro-German Croatian Army (including their women and children) which
          had surrendered to the British forces in Bleiburg, Austria in 1945.

          Just like the expulsion and execution of the Donauschwaben in
          Yugoslavia by the same Communists under Marshal Tito after WW II.

          For political reasons the British and Americans had acquiesced to
          all these events.

          In 1948, the Communists took control of the Czechoslovakia government
          due again to the politicians.
          The Czechs had voted 2 to 1 for Communism and the Slovaks voted
          2 to 1 for Democracy . Since there were more Czechs, the Communists
          won the elections and the country got 45 years of Communist rule until
          the "velvet revolution" in 1993.

          I fought in the US Army in Europe during WW II.
          My military unit had crossed the Czechoslovakia border on 2 May 45.
          WW II was over in Europe on 8 May 45.
          After the Praha Uprising, the Soviet Army entered the city on 9 May
          45.
          I still had to fight against the NKs and Chinese Communists in Korea
          (1950-1952)

          Frank K

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/