Re: [S-R] learning the Slovak language

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8 9:25 PM
      Gil,

      As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
      is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
      used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
      the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
      without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
      translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
      language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
      cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

      I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
      http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
      the site.

      John

      >I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for
      information on learning the language.

      This looks like a very good program.

      Gil K.

      "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska
      will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used
      different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive
      and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I
      find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak
      letters.

      The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business
      consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this
      program."<
    • Gil K.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9 4:20 PM
        Thanks John for the information.

        I have several translation programs and, as you report, they are not fully useful for comprehensive translation efforts. They are adequate for and limited to word to word and short phrase translations.

        I do not read or write Slovak so I utilize the services of a human translator for communications with relatives in Slovakia.

        Gil K.

        "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
        Gil,

        As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
        is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
        used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
        the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
        without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
        translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
        language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
        cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

        I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
        http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
        the site.

        John

        >I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for
        information on learning the language.

        This looks like a very good program.

        Gil K.

        "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska
        will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used
        different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive
        and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I
        find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak
        letters.

        The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business
        consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this
        program."<

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');