Re: [S-R] PLACKO

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
      <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
      > Anabeth,
      >
      > Thank you for taking the time to check the records for me. If I
      wanted to obtain similar records for a village, how would I go about
      it? Where do you start?

      > Thanks,
      > Marilyn
      >
      > Dollins <axd2@p...> wrote:
      > Marilyn --
      >
      > I checked the PLACKO families in the Brezova pod Bradlom Lutheran
      church
      > records that were written in the 1800s. Those Lutherans used a very
      limited
      > palette of male first names -- Jan, Pavel, Martin, Stefan, Juraj,
      Tomas,
      > Samuel, with the occasional Michal -- and Andrej wasn't among the
      list.

      > Also, there's no Andrej listed in the 1869 Brezova census.
      >
      > Looks as if you need to research some other town.
      >
      > Anabeth

      say she
      > was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6 with her parents in
      1886. Upon
      > further questioning, my mother just assumes he also came from that
      region.

      > > In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3
      brothers in
      > the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna Celec, both
      in
      > Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko sisters.

      Marilyn,

      As I wrote earlier there were some surnames Celec who settled in the
      Pittsburgh PA after WW I.

      Some Celec surnames may have been from Slovakia (Gribov and Spis^ské
      Vlachy), but I don't believe that they had originated there.
      But, rather they emigrated from Styria (E) Steirmark (A/G) which was a
      Slovene-speaking region in the Klagenfurt region north of Slovenija.
      Its inhabitants called themselves 'Wends', a little-known immigrant
      group, and had refused to associate with Slovenians, preferring to be
      called Austrians.
      And if not Wendish (Sorb) then perhaps Slovenian ?
      Before WW I the surname Celecz was found in Slovenija.

      Frank K