Re: [S-R] PLACKO

  • Dollins
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      Marilyn --

      I checked the PLACKO families in the Brezova pod Bradlom Lutheran church
      records that were written in the 1800s. Those Lutherans used a very limited
      palette of male first names -- Jan, Pavel, Martin, Stefan, Juraj, Tomas,
      Samuel, with the occasional Michal -- and Andrej wasn't among the list.

      Also, there's no Andrej listed in the 1869 Brezova census.

      Looks as if you need to research some other town.

      Anabeth

        > My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and lived,
        worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to pursue the western
        Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife (Sophia Janecko) say she
        was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6 with her parents in 1886. Upon
        further questioning, my mother just assumes he also came from that region.

        > In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3 brothers in
        the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna Celec, both in
        Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko sisters.

        > > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
        > is pronounced "platchko".
        >
        > Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
        > Brezov�� pod Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
        > in western Slovakia.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
          <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
          > Anabeth,
          >
          > Thank you for taking the time to check the records for me. If I
          wanted to obtain similar records for a village, how would I go about
          it? Where do you start?

          > Thanks,
          > Marilyn
          >
          > Dollins <axd2@p...> wrote:
          > Marilyn --
          >
          > I checked the PLACKO families in the Brezova pod Bradlom Lutheran
          church
          > records that were written in the 1800s. Those Lutherans used a very
          limited
          > palette of male first names -- Jan, Pavel, Martin, Stefan, Juraj,
          Tomas,
          > Samuel, with the occasional Michal -- and Andrej wasn't among the
          list.

          > Also, there's no Andrej listed in the 1869 Brezova census.
          >
          > Looks as if you need to research some other town.
          >
          > Anabeth

          Marilyn,

          As I wrote earlier there were some surnames Celec who settled in the
          Pittsburgh PA after WW I.

          Some Celec surnames may have been from Slovakia (Gribov and Spis^ské
          Vlachy), but I don't believe that they had originated there.
          But, rather they emigrated from Styria (E) Steirmark (A/G) which was a
          Slovene-speaking region in the Klagenfurt region north of Slovenija.
          Its inhabitants called themselves 'Wends', a little-known immigrant
          group, and had refused to associate with Slovenians, preferring to be
          called Austrians.
          And if not Wendish (Sorb) then perhaps Slovenian ?
          Before WW I the surname Celecz was found in Slovenija.

          Frank K