Re: [S-R] learning the Slovak language

  • Gil K.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for information on learning the language.

      This looks like a very good program.

      Gil K.

      "Send your request for info et al to teos@... Most likely Peter Haluska will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak letters.

      The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this program."

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        Gil,

        As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
        is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
        used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
        the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
        without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
        translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
        language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
        cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

        I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
        http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
        the site.

        John

        "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
          Thanks John for the information.

          I have several translation programs and, as you report, they are not fully useful for comprehensive translation efforts. They are adequate for and limited to word to word and short phrase translations.

          I do not read or write Slovak so I utilize the services of a human translator for communications with relatives in Slovakia.

          Gil K.

          "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
          Gil,

          As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
          is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
          used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
          the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
          without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
          translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
          language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
          cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

          I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
          http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
          the site.

          John

          >I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for
          information on learning the language.

          This looks like a very good program.

          Gil K.

          "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska
          will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used
          different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive
          and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I
          find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak
          letters.

          The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business
          consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this
          program."<

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');