Re: [S-R] learning the Slovak language

  • XxterenoxX@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      EuroTalk makes a nice Slovak Beginners CD for your computer. Just look for
      Learn Slovak for Beginners by EuroTalk Interactive. That would be my first
      choice. There is also Colloquial Slovak by James Naughton, it includes a tape and a
      book. There are lots of good cookbooks and other things on Ebay. You can slo
      try <A HREF="www.slovakshop.com">www.slovakshop.com</A>. I hope this helps! Good luck!

      -= Researching surname Fatika

    • Gil K.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for information on learning the language.

        This looks like a very good program.

        Gil K.

        "Send your request for info et al to teos@... Most likely Peter Haluska will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak letters.

        The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this program."

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
          Gil,

          As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
          is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
          used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
          the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
          without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
          translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
          language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
          cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

          I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
          http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
          the site.

          John

          "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
            Thanks John for the information.

            I have several translation programs and, as you report, they are not fully useful for comprehensive translation efforts. They are adequate for and limited to word to word and short phrase translations.

            I do not read or write Slovak so I utilize the services of a human translator for communications with relatives in Slovakia.

            Gil K.

            "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
            Gil,

            As Dick states, PC Translator is a comprehensive program and the dictionary
            is useful but the program requires some knowledge of the language to be
            used effectively. I have put paragraphs in Slovak from various sources into
            the program to be translated and the translations were not comprehensible
            without a good deal of additional effort on my part. When it is used to
            translate English to Slovak, it also requires some knowledge of the
            language to make it easily understood. In other words, it is not a
            cakewalk as far as translating in either direction.

            I have not tried "Language Teacher" but I downloaded a demo version from:
            http://www.slovnik.sk/ Demo versions of both programs are available at
            the site.

            John

            >I received the following from Dick Mihalek in response to my request for
            information on learning the language.

            This looks like a very good program.

            Gil K.

            "Send your request for info et al to teos@s... Most likely Peter Haluska
            will respond. See also their website at www.slovnik.sk I've seen and used
            different "so called" translators but this one is by far the most comprehensive
            and professional of them all. It has been developed over a ten year period. I
            find the use of their comprehensive dictionary a great help as I write Slovak
            letters.

            The company is based in Trencin and has an impressive list of business
            consumers. You will be pleasantly surprised with the usability of this
            program."<

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');