RE: [S-R] Re: Spis and PLACKO

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
      History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in
      print and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview.
      Readily obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc.
      Bill Tarkulich

        <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
        >
        > First, thank you for all the information.
        >
        > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
        is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
        village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
        grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
        as the place they and their families came from.

        > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
        start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
        Ves.

        > Thanks again for the village information!
        >
        > Marilyn

        Marilyn,

        That would be a good place to begin your research.

        LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for Spis^sk��
        Nov�� Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igl��, Szepes megye,
        Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        17915453-1791545
        17939841-1739842

        Then Spis^sk�� Vlachy and Levoc^a.

        Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from Brezov�� pod
        Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
        in western Slovakia.

        They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
        family ancestors back to c 1700.

        You will also have to determine where your surnames actually originated
        just like your other Sandorf surnames. They may have originally been
        from Polish Galicia or some other
        country ?

        Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in the U.S. ?
        There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also in
        Chicago IL. (I have lived in both places)

        Frank K

        > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
        > > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:
        > >
        > > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
        > > > way to find this place?
        > > Marilyn,
        > >
        > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
        > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
        I've
        > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
        > again.
        > >
        > > Dee Taylor
        > > CPRAMUKA@a...
        >
        > Dee and Marilyn,
        >
        > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
        > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
        > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
        > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
        > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
        > parish church records depending upon surname religious
        > affiliation.
        >
        > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
        > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
        > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
        >

        > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
        Plac^ko
        > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
        > and Spis^sk?lachy.
        > This may also have been true in the past.
        >
        > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
        >
        > Frank K
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

      • Gil K.
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
          Bill,

          I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

          I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his book.

          The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannov�. Translation from Slovak to English by Martin Styan & David Daniel.

          Gil K.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
            Gil,

            Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise History of Slovakia" ?

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by
            Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

            I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it
            very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his
            book.

            The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannová.

            Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:
            History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in print
            and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview. Readily
            obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc. Bill Tarkulich

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
          • Alan Antoska
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
              Bill,
              The ISBN is 80-88880-42-4
              Published by Academic Electronic Press in 2000.
              Hard cover copy cost SK912 in Bratislava book stores.
              I purchased my copy May 2003 in B'lava.

              --- Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote: > Gil,

              > Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise
              > History of Slovakia" ?
              >
              > ______________
              > Bill Tarkulich

              http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
            • Doug & Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                It's available on amazon.com.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Hi Bill,

                  A cousin from Banska Bystrica sent me the book.

                  It appears however that the book may be available from several sources based on recent postings.

                  ISBN 80-88880-42-4 is correct.

                  Gil