Re: [S-R] Re: Spis and PLACKO

  • Marilyn Sandorf
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
      Frank,

      My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and lived, worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to pursue the western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife (Sophia Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6 with her parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just assumes he also came from that region.

      In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3 brothers in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna Celec, both in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko sisters.

      I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week. I'll go and order the tapes you listed.

      I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture (politically, geographically, etc).

      Again, thank you.

      Marilyn

      Frank <frankur@...> wrote:
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
      <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
      >
      > First, thank you for all the information.
      >
      > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
      is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
      village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
      grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
      as the place they and their families came from.

      > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
      start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
      Ves.

      > Thanks again for the village information!
      >
      > Marilyn

      Marilyn,

      That would be a good place to begin your research.

      LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for
      Spis^sk�� Nov�� Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igl��, Szepes megye,
      Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      17915453-1791545
      17939841-1739842

      Then Spis^sk�� Vlachy and Levoc^a.

      Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
      Brezov�� pod Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
      in western Slovakia.

      They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
      family ancestors back to c 1700.

      You will also have to determine where your surnames actually
      originated just like your other Sandorf surnames.
      They may have originally been from Polish Galicia or some other
      country ?

      Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in
      the U.S. ?
      There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also
      in Chicago IL.
      (I have lived in both places)

      Frank K

      > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:
      > >
      > > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
      > > > way to find this place?
      > > Marilyn,
      > >
      > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
      > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
      I've
      > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
      > again.
      > >
      > > Dee Taylor
      > > CPRAMUKA@a...
      >
      > Dee and Marilyn,
      >
      > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with
      > the Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch.
      > The surname Platko had no diacritic letters.
      > Expect it is a separate surname.
      > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
      > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
      > parish church records depending upon surname religious
      > affiliation.
      >
      > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
      > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
      > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
      >

      > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
      Plac^ko
      > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
      > and Spis^sk?lachy.
      > This may also have been true in the past.
      >
      > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
      >
      > Frank K
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
        <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
        > Frank,
        >
        > My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and
        lived, worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to
        pursue the western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife
        (Sophia Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6
        with her parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just
        assumes he also came from that region.

        > In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3
        brothers in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna
        Celec, both in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko
        sisters.

        > I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week.
        I'll go and order the tapes you listed.

        > I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria
        Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin
        my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture
        (politically, geographically, etc).

        > Again, thank you.
        >
        > Marilyn

        Well Marilyn,

        Here we go again.
        Your surnames certainly came from interesting places in Europe !
        North-South-East-West.

        Today, there are both surnames bearers Plac^ko and Janec^ko living in
        Spis^ská Nová Ves, Spis^ské Vlachy, and Levoc^a (all in the SNV area)

        There are also some surnames Celec listed under Spis^ské Vlachy.

        That is why I suggested that you also check films for Spis^ské Vlachy
        and Levoc^a after researching your surnames under SNV.

        Before WW I (1914) Austria-Hungary was the territory stretching
        from Austria to Montenegro in the Balkans, plus Czech-Bohemia and
        part of Poland and part of the Ukraine.

        Kingdom of Hungary was the territory stretching from the current
        Czech border to part of current Romania, and including most of
        current Croatia (once part of former Yugoslavia)

        The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
        in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

        The territory of Slovakia was ruled by Slovak Kings.
        The Czechs were probably under the rule of the Slovaks from about
        889 A.D. to 894 A.D.
        In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
        Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
        The Hungarians ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D., nearly a
        thousand years.

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
        Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
        It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
        Both German and Czech languages were used.

        Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
        Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
        Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
        Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
        of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
        (Austrian-Silesia).

        The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
        title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
        established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
        Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

        Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
        Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
        Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
        portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

        (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

        Between 1772 and 1795 the entire territory of the Kingdom of
        Poland was divided between Prussia, Austria and Russia.
        The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
        incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy (1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little Poland)
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
        became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        western Ukraine.

        There were a few surnames Celec who settled in the Pittsburgh PA after
        WW I.
        Some Celec surnames may have been from Slovakia , but I don't believe
        that they had originated there.
        But, rather from Styria (E) Steirmark (G) which was a Slovene-speaking
        region in the Klagenfurt region north of Slovenija.
        Its inhabitants called themselves 'Wends', a little-known immigrant
        group, and had refused to associate with Slovenians, preferring to be
        called Austrians.

        Frank K

        > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
        > <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
        > > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
        > >
        > > First, thank you for all the information.
        > >
        > > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^
        and
        > is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
        > village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
        > grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
        > as the place they and their families came from.
        > >
        > > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
        > start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska
        Nova
        > Ves.
        > >
        > > Thanks again for the village information!
        > >
        > > Marilyn
        >
        > Marilyn,
        >
        > That would be a good place to begin your research.
        >
        > LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for
        > Spis^ská Nová Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igló, Szepes
        megye,
        > Hungary.
        > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
        >
        > film #
        > 17915453-1791545
        > 17939841-1739842
        >
        > Then Spis^ské Vlachy and Levoc^a.
        >

        > Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
        > Brezová pod Bradlom (Sk) Berezó (H) located 40 miles NNE of
        Bratislava
        > in western Slovakia.
        >
        > They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
        > family ancestors back to c 1700.
        >
        > You will also have to determine where your surnames actually
        > originated just like your other Sandorf surnames.
        > They may have originally been from Polish Galicia or some other
        > country ?
        >
        > Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in
        > the U.S. ?
        > There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also
        > in Chicago IL.
        > (I have lived in both places)
        >
        > Frank K
        > >
        > > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:

        > > > Marilyn,
        > > >
        > > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
        > > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
        > I've
        > > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
        > > again.
        > > >
        > > > Dee Taylor
        > > > CPRAMUKA@a...
        > >
        > > Dee and Marilyn,
        > >
        > > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with
        > > the Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch.
        > > The surname Platko had no diacritic letters.
        > > Expect it is a separate surname.
        > > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
        > > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
        > > parish church records depending upon surname religious
        > > affiliation.
        > >
        > > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
        > > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern
        Slovakia.
        > > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
        > >

        > > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
        > Plac^ko
        > > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
        > > and Spis^sk?lachy.
        > > This may also have been true in the past.
        > >
        > > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
        > >
        > > Frank K
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        email

        Service.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
          History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in
          print and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview.
          Readily obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc.
          Bill Tarkulich

          <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
          > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
          >
          > First, thank you for all the information.
          >
          > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
          is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
          village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
          grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
          as the place they and their families came from.

          > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
          start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
          Ves.

          > Thanks again for the village information!
          >
          > Marilyn

          Marilyn,

          That would be a good place to begin your research.

          LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for Spis^ská
          Nová Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igló, Szepes megye,
          Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          film #
          17915453-1791545
          17939841-1739842

          Then Spis^ské Vlachy and Levoc^a.

          Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from Brezová pod
          Bradlom (Sk) Berezó (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
          in western Slovakia.

          They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
          family ancestors back to c 1700.

          You will also have to determine where your surnames actually originated
          just like your other Sandorf surnames. They may have originally been
          from Polish Galicia or some other
          country ?

          Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in the U.S. ?
          There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also in
          Chicago IL. (I have lived in both places)

          Frank K

          > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:
          > >
          > > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
          > > > way to find this place?
          > > Marilyn,
          > >
          > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
          > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
          I've
          > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
          > again.
          > >
          > > Dee Taylor
          > > CPRAMUKA@a...
          >
          > Dee and Marilyn,
          >
          > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
          > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
          > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
          > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
          > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
          > parish church records depending upon surname religious
          > affiliation.
          >
          > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
          > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
          > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
          >

          > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
          Plac^ko
          > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
          > and Spis^sk?lachy.
          > This may also have been true in the past.
          >
          > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
          >
          > Frank K
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Marilyn Sandorf

            <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
> [...]

            > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
            > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
            > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
            > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
            > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
            > parish church records depending upon surname religious
            > affiliation.
            >
            > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
            > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
            > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
            >

            > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
            Plac^ko
            > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
            > and Spis^sk?lachy.
            > This may also have been true in the past.
            >
            > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

          • Gil K.
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
              Bill,

              I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

              I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his book.

              The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannov�. Translation from Slovak to English by Martin Styan & David Daniel.

              Gil K.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                Gil,

                Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise History of Slovakia" ?

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by
                Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

                I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it
                very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his
                book.

                The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannová.

                Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:
                History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in print
                and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview. Readily
                obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc. Bill Tarkulich

                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
              • Alan Antoska
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Bill,
                  The ISBN is 80-88880-42-4
                  Published by Academic Electronic Press in 2000.
                  Hard cover copy cost SK912 in Bratislava book stores.
                  I purchased my copy May 2003 in B'lava.

                  --- Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote: > Gil,

                  > Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise
                  > History of Slovakia" ?
                  >
                  > ______________
                  > Bill Tarkulich

                  http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
                • Doug & Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                    It's available on amazon.com.

                    Janet

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Hi Bill,

                      A cousin from Banska Bystrica sent me the book.

                      It appears however that the book may be available from several sources based on recent postings.

                      ISBN 80-88880-42-4 is correct.

                      Gil