[S-R] Re: Spis and PLACKO

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
      <konekta@n...>
      > wrote:
      > > Maybe, in some german spelled records, the surname Placko was
      > written
      > > Platsko. This is possible.
      > > Vladimir
      >
      > I found a Wilhelm Platsko crossed off of a 1894 ship manifest
      > which had sailed from Bremen, Germany.
      > Wilhelm is German given name for William.
      >
      > Ellis Island Records (EIR) also list 80 surnames Placsko, 10
      surnames
      > Plaszko, and 6 surnames Placzko.
      > These look to be Hungarian style spellings.
      > And their places of origin replicate the Plac^ko and Platko
      > surnames : western Slovakia, eastern Slovakia and Spis^ region.
      >

      > Frank K

      So as not to miss any possible surname bearers, 90 surnames Plac^ko
      are found across Croatia and the surname Plac^ko(v) is also found in
      Slovenija.

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        Dear Marilyn,
        I found the series of books by Henryk K. Sienkiewicz to be highly useful to
        learn how Poland evolved and prospered during the 1600's. I started with Fire
        in the Steppe. A little out of order chronologically, but a great start. He
        wrote historical fiction.
        Then, there is a hard to get book called Brotherhood of Silence by Stefan
        Ilok which is a wonderful resource for how Slovakia managed during World War II.
        You can go to the local library and request that they send for some of the
        hard to get books from another library
        But, my own personal experience in starting to learn about these two
        countries was with maps. i just could not get enough maps to study. New York City
        Public library has a Map Division so once a month, i would take the hour's ride
        by train into the city and spend the day with maps. they have 1918 maps
        which show the exact way the European countries looked about the time our
        ancestors came to the States. They were compiled by Blackie of London.
        There was something about studying maps that just made me look deeper and
        deeper into the countries.
        Noreen