Re: Spis and PLACKO

  • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
      In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
      > way to find this place?
      Marilyn,

      Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county. I've also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back again.

      Dee Taylor
      CPRAMUKA@...
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
        > > way to find this place?
        > Marilyn,
        >
        > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
        surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county. I've
        also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
        again.

        > Dee Taylor
        > CPRAMUKA@a...

        Dee and Marilyn,

        In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with
        the Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch.
        The surname Platko had no diacritic letters.
        Expect it is a separate surname.
        Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
        Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
        parish church records depending upon surname religious
        affiliation.

        Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^ská Nová Ves, as well as
        to the Stará L'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
        And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)

        Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames Plac^ko
        - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^ská Nová Ves,
        and Spis^ské Vlachy.
        This may also have been true in the past.

        The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^ská Nová Ves.

        Frank K
      • Marilyn Sandorf
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2003
          Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,

          First, thank you for all the information.

          Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis as the place they and their families came from.

          Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova Ves.

          Thanks again for the village information!

          Marilyn

          Frank <frankur@...> wrote:
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
          > > way to find this place?
          > Marilyn,
          >
          > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
          surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county. I've
          also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
          again.

          > Dee Taylor
          > CPRAMUKA@a...

          Dee and Marilyn,

          In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with
          the Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch.
          The surname Platko had no diacritic letters.
          Expect it is a separate surname.
          Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
          Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
          parish church records depending upon surname religious
          affiliation.

          Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk� Nov� Ves, as well as
          to the Star� L'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
          And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)

          Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames Plac^ko
          - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk� Nov� Ves,
          and Spis^sk� Vlachy.
          This may also have been true in the past.

          The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk� Nov� Ves.

          Frank K

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Sandorf
            <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
            > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
            >
            > First, thank you for all the information.
            >
            > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
            is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
            village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
            grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
            as the place they and their families came from.

            > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
            start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
            Ves.

            > Thanks again for the village information!
            >
            > Marilyn

            Marilyn,

            That would be a good place to begin your research.

            LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for
            Spis^ská Nová Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igló, Szepes megye,
            Hungary.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            film #
            17915453-1791545
            17939841-1739842

            Then Spis^ské Vlachy and Levoc^a.

            Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
            Brezová pod Bradlom (Sk) Berezó (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
            in western Slovakia.

            They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
            family ancestors back to c 1700.

            You will also have to determine where your surnames actually
            originated just like your other Sandorf surnames.
            They may have originally been from Polish Galicia or some other
            country ?

            Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in
            the U.S. ?
            There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also
            in Chicago IL.
            (I have lived in both places)

            Frank K

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
              Frank,

              My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and lived, worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to pursue the western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife (Sophia Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6 with her parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just assumes he also came from that region.

              In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3 brothers in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna Celec, both in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko sisters.

              I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week. I'll go and order the tapes you listed.

              I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture (politically, geographically, etc).

              Again, thank you.

              Marilyn

              <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
              > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
              >
              > First, thank you for all the information.
              >
              > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
              is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
              village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
              grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
              as the place they and their families came from.

              > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
              start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
              Ves.

              > Thanks again for the village information!
              >
              > Marilyn

              Marilyn,

              That would be a good place to begin your research.

              LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for
              Spis^sk�� Nov�� Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igl��, Szepes megye,
              Hungary.
              Text in Latin and Hungarian.

              film #
              17915453-1791545
              17939841-1739842

              Then Spis^sk�� Vlachy and Levoc^a.

              Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from
              Brezov�� pod Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
                > Frank,
                >
                > My ancestor Andrej Placko arrived in the US in 1893 at age 18 and
                lived, worked and died in Fayette Co. PA (Uniontown). I want to
                pursue the western Slovakia towns because my mother heard Andy's wife
                (Sophia Janecko) say she was from "Spis", and she emigrated at age 6
                with her parents in 1886. Upon further questioning, my mother just
                assumes he also came from that region.

                > In Andy's obituary (June 1938) it states that in addition to 3
                brothers in the US, he had 2 sisters "Mrs. Mary Celec and Mrs. Anna
                Celec, both in Czechoslovakia". I have no information on these Placko
                sisters.

                > I made my first visit to the local LDS history center last week.
                I'll go and order the tapes you listed.

                > I am woefully ignorant of the history of Slovaks/Slovakia, Austria
                Hungary, Poland, etc. Is there one book you'd suggest I read to begin
                my education? I'd like to get a clear idea of the big picture
                (politically, geographically, etc).

                > Again, thank you.
                >
                > Marilyn

                Well Marilyn,

                Here we go again.
                Your surnames certainly came from interesting places in Europe !
                North-South-East-West.

                Today, there are both surnames bearers Plac^ko and Janec^ko living in
                Spis^ská Nová Ves, Spis^ské Vlachy, and Levoc^a (all in the SNV area)

                There are also some surnames Celec listed under Spis^ské Vlachy.

                That is why I suggested that you also check films for Spis^ské Vlachy
                and Levoc^a after researching your surnames under SNV.

                Before WW I (1914) Austria-Hungary was the territory stretching
                from Austria to Montenegro in the Balkans, plus Czech-Bohemia and
                part of Poland and part of the Ukraine.

                Kingdom of Hungary was the territory stretching from the current
                Czech border to part of current Romania, and including most of
                current Croatia (once part of former Yugoslavia)

                The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
                in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

                The territory of Slovakia was ruled by Slovak Kings.
                The Czechs were probably under the rule of the Slovaks from about
                889 A.D. to 894 A.D.
                In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
                Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
                The Hungarians ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D., nearly a
                thousand years.

                Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
                (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
                Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
                It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
                Both German and Czech languages were used.

                Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
                Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
                Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
                Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
                of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
                (Austrian-Silesia).

                The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
                title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
                established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
                Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

                Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
                part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
                Austrian Empire.
                Hungarian names were used for towns and counties

                In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
                Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
                portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

                (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

                Between 1772 and 1795 the entire territory of the Kingdom of
                Poland was divided between Prussia, Austria and Russia.
                The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
                incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

                Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
                Monarchy (1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
                Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
                Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

                In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little Poland)
                After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
                became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
                Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
                western Ukraine.

                There were a few surnames Celec who settled in the Pittsburgh PA after
                WW I.
                Some Celec surnames may have been from Slovakia , but I don't believe
                that they had originated there.
                But, rather from Styria (E) Steirmark (G) which was a Slovene-speaking
                region in the Klagenfurt region north of Slovenija.
                Its inhabitants called themselves 'Wends', a little-known immigrant
                group, and had refused to associate with Slovenians, preferring to be
                called Austrians.

                Frank K

                Service.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                  History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in
                  print and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview.
                  Readily obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc.
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                  > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
                  > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
                  > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
                  > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
                  > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
                  > parish church records depending upon surname religious
                  > affiliation.
                  >
                  > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
                  > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
                  > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
                  >

                  > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
                  Plac^ko
                  > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
                  > and Spis^sk?lachy.
                  > This may also have been true in the past.
                  >
                  > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Marilyn Sandorf

                    <msandorf2003@y...> wrote:
                    > Dear Frank, Vladimir, Dee and others,
                    >
                    > First, thank you for all the information.
                    >
                    > Our family name PLACKO was spelled with the diacritic letter c^ and
                    is pronounced "platchko". My mother thinks that Spis is a town or
                    village, but now we know better. She says she heard both of her
                    grandmothers, whose surnames were PLACKO and FILIPCIK, refer to Spis
                    as the place they and their families came from.

                    > Based on the information from you, Frank, it looks like I should
                    start by ordering the LDS church records (Catholic) from Spis^ska Nova
                    Ves.

                    > Thanks again for the village information!
                    >
                    > Marilyn

                    Marilyn,

                    That would be a good place to begin your research.

                    LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1626-1895) for Spis^sk��
                    Nov�� Ves, Slovakia, formerly known as Igl��, Szepes megye,
                    Hungary.
                    Text in Latin and Hungarian.

                    film #
                    17915453-1791545
                    17939841-1739842

                    Then Spis^sk�� Vlachy and Levoc^a.

                    Most of the surnames Placko who emigrated to US were from Brezov�� pod
                    Bradlom (Sk) Berez�� (H) located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava
                    in western Slovakia.

                    They are the best surnames Placko documented too by their American
                    family ancestors back to c 1700.

                    You will also have to determine where your surnames actually originated
                    just like your other Sandorf surnames. They may have originally been
                    from Polish Galicia or some other
                    country ?

                    Which reminds me, where did your surnames Janec^ko settle in the U.S. ?
                    There were many in Fayette CO and Westmoreland CO in SW PA and also in
                    Chicago IL. (I have lived in both places)

                    Frank K

                    > Frank <frankur@w...> wrote:
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CPRAMUKA@a... wrote:
                    > > In a message dated 10/4/2003 9:57:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:
                    > >
                    > > > The surnames are PLACKO and JANECKO. Can anyone suggest a
                    > > > way to find this place?
                    > > Marilyn,
                    > >
                    > > Have you ever thought of PLATKO instead of PLACKO? I've seen the
                    > surname PLATKO in old Saris county which borders old Spis county.
                    I've
                    > also seen surnames with a 'c' in them changed to a 't' and back
                    > again.
                    > >
                    > > Dee Taylor
                    > > CPRAMUKA@a...
                    >
                    > Dee and Marilyn,
                    >
                    > In Slovakia the surnames Plac^ko and Janec^ko were spelled with the
                    > Slovak diacritic letter c^ pron. ch. The surname Platko had no
                    > diacritic letters. Expect it is a separate surname.
                    > Whether related to surname Plac^ko is another matter ?
                    > Surname researcher will have to check the LDS films of
                    > parish church records depending upon surname religious
                    > affiliation.
                    >
                    > Can trace the surname Platko to Spis^sk?ov?es, as well as
                    > to the Star?'ubovn'a, Poprad, and Pres^ov areas of eastern Slovakia.
                    > And to Austrian-Poland (Galicia)
                    >

                    > Based on the online Slovakia telephone directory the surnames
                    Plac^ko
                    > - Janec^ko appears to be connected from Levoc^a , Spis^sk?ov?es,
                    > and Spis^sk?lachy.
                    > This may also have been true in the past.
                    >
                    > The directory also lists the surname Platko under Spis^sk?ov?es.
                    >
                    > Frank K
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

                  • Gil K.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Bill,

                      I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

                      I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his book.

                      The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannov�. Translation from Slovak to English by Martin Styan & David Daniel.

                      Gil K.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                        Gil,

                        Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise History of Slovakia" ?

                        ______________
                        Bill Tarkulich

                        I agree that the book, "History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival" by
                        Kirshbaum is an excellent read about the Slovak land and its people.

                        I have just started to read "A Concise History of Slovakia" and find it
                        very interesting with a little more detail than Kirshbaum provides in his
                        book.

                        The book is the work of ten Slovak authors and is editied by Elena Mannová.

                        Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:
                        History of Slovakia - Struggle for Survival by Kirshbaum is still in print
                        and an excellent, affordable regional and political overview. Readily
                        obtainable from B&N, Amazon, etc. Bill Tarkulich

                        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
                      • Alan Antoska
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                          Bill,
                          The ISBN is 80-88880-42-4
                          Published by Academic Electronic Press in 2000.
                          Hard cover copy cost SK912 in Bratislava book stores.
                          I purchased my copy May 2003 in B'lava.

                          --- Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote: > Gil,

                          > Sounds interesting. Where did you locate "A Concise
                          > History of Slovakia" ?
                          >
                          > ______________
                          > Bill Tarkulich

                          http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
                        • Doug & Janet Kozlay
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                            It's available on amazon.com.

                            Janet

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 6, 2003
                              Hi Bill,

                              A cousin from Banska Bystrica sent me the book.

                              It appears however that the book may be available from several sources based on recent postings.

                              ISBN 80-88880-42-4 is correct.

                              Gil